Discuss how to cure a blowing fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Guest111

Some latvian contractors had complained about a welder blowing a fuse on an extension lead repeatedly,Finally they announced they didn't need the electrician calling out as they had resolved the issue,yes that is a piece of an M6 bolt!

how to cure a blowing fuse phone 002 - EletriciansForums.net

The laugh was the lead was a 50 foot length of 1mm flex,should have seen the overheating on it.

God they could of atleast jammed an m8 in there and done a proper job

not just the euro trash that do this, plenty of fencing contractors and farmers are experts in this line of work

yeah they let the magic smoke out
you know when they do this type of **** they deserve the darwin awards:90:

most welder manufacturers specifically state that extension cords or leads must not be used.

Could you tell me the protection built in to US plugs and sockets?

The entire US electrical industry deserve a Darwin award.

actually some appliances are coming out with fused plugs and gfci.
dont get me wrong tony I agree with you and i wish we had fused type plugs like you guys use
but I have to work with what we have.
this is also the reason my home is wired for low voltage control (only outlets are at 120 volts)
all lighting and switching is at 24 volt.
also solar cells charge the battery banks for emergency lighting
the side benifit is a lot lower cost in wire

my statement about earning a darwin award is for those who would replace a fuse with a solid bar.
fuses are made to burn out if the current draw is exceeded this is a sacrificial safety element.
purposely bypassing a safety device be it a fuse or safety switch is just asking for problems.

my statement about earning a darwin award is for those who would replace a fuse with a solid bar.
fuses are made to burn out if the current draw is exceeded this is a sacrificial safety element.
purposely bypassing a safety device be it a fuse or safety switch is just asking for problems.

Fault finding I replaced a 450A fuse with a solid link, so the back up was a 1200A ACB. After many abortive tests I’d run out of ideas. Found the fault, a tree falling over on fire gave the game away. Its roots had broken an UG joint.

I don’t recommend this normally but needs must at times.
I’ve done it a few times on 11KV (upped the protection relays first) to give a good short that could be traced. Wandering around fields in the middle of winter isn’t my idea of fun.

PS I've never work on domestic.

Fault finding I replaced a 450A fuse with a solid link, so the back up was a 1200A ACB. After many abortive tests I’d run out of ideas. Found the fault, a tree falling over on fire gave the game away. Its roots had broken an UG joint.

I don’t recommend this normally but needs must at times.
I’ve done it a few times on 11KV (upped the protection relays first) to give a good short that could be traced. Wandering around fields in the middle of winter isn’t my idea of fun.

PS I've never work on domestic.

Do you leave that to the professionals Tony?? lol

You come in to my world. I'd leave you (for) dead!

In fourty years I've done five domestic installs. I had my arm twisted for them (bloody family + wife). I stuck with what I was comfortable with.

Best five jobs of your life?????? I Doubt it, and anyway.....where you part P registered?? If not, then your not qualified!!!!...........(i'm being extra cheeky to my elders now)!

Best five jobs of your life?????? I Doubt it, and anyway.....where you part P registered?? If not, then your not qualified!!!!...........(i'm being extra cheeky to my elders now)!

You've got a thanks for making me laugh.

Betters, no. Yes we're electricians but in different fields.
I haven't a bloody clue about domestic. But I'll ask do you know the M&Q or Foundries acts?

Horses for courses springs to mind.

My idea of running a cable wouldn’t involve chasing a wall. I’d just demolish it, run the cables through and the brickies would rebuild the wall afterwards.

You think I’m joking, I walked in the plant managers office and told him two 240mm3½c SWA’s were coming straight though his office. It was cheaper to relocate him than divert the cable.

OK I’m an animal, but its how my life in heavy engineering made me. I couldn’t do you’re job if my life depended on it.

Reply to how to cure a blowing fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock