Discuss How to Drill into Ceramic/porcelain Tile Without Cracking It in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

first of all i don't know whether i have Ceramic or porcelain tiles.

also if you could help me identify which type i have, what is the best method for drilling them or technique to avoid cracking them?

Is it fairly simple too do or a nightmare?

just encase you haven't already guessed i a not a tradesman.

thanks for your help.

Generally I’ve always either used a glass/tile drill bit to just get through the top layer of the tile the switch to combi drill for the wall or use my sds drill on the non hammer setting and just go gently.

Hi - what size hole do you need?
Perhaps put “tile drill” into a search engine and you’ll see plenty of options at the usual outlets. Soft tiles may be done with hardened steel bits, which are just a £few each. But you’ll likely need a diamond based cutter if it’s a hard tile. If you’ve a spare tile I’d have a trial run :) .

Most good quality masonry drill bits will drill ceramic tiles no bother (hammer action off)
Porcelain or glass tiles however will require a special diamond tile drill bit.

Hi - what size hole do you need?
Perhaps put “tile drill” into a search engine and you’ll see plenty of options at the usual outlets. Soft tiles may be done with hardened steel bits, which are just a £few each. But you’ll likely need a diamond based cutter if it’s a hard tile. If you’ve a spare tile I’d have a trial run :) .
i want to put up some roller blinds so the hole wont be that big

I have used bosch multi construction bits on tiles before and armeg twisters and tile drills if you only want a small hole. I've killed 5 drill bits on one hole before trying to fit a lit mirror as well when someone used floor tiles that were hard as 4@@k on the walls! :grin:

Also make sure you knock the rawlplug thru the tile before you put the screw in otherwise the plug will expand and break the tile.

I've drilled and plugged hundreds of holes and never had this occur once. If the plug is flush with the tile (as a minimum) then the bit that pushes out and expands laterally is deeper and beyond the tile usually.

If you search ebay,you can find the type and colour of your tile,and purchase one,with the correct size hole,already drilled,in the right place.
It is then a simple case of replacing the original tile,with the supplied tile,obviously aligning the ready drilled hole,with the hole you have drilled in your wall.

When the tile adhesive has set,it is then a doddle,to fit a plug,and fix the accessory,desired.

What i am short of,is a head-guard,as them short-sighted fools on Dragon's den,keep slamming the door in my face....;)

If you search ebay,you can find the type and colour of your tile,and purchase one,with the correct size hole,already drilled,in the right place.
It is then a simple case of replacing the original tile,with the supplied tile,obviously aligning the ready drilled hole,with the hole you have drilled in your wall.

When the tile adhesive has set,it is then a doddle,to fit a plug,and fix the accessory,desired.

What i am short of,is a head-guard,as them short-sighted fools on Dragon's den,keep slamming the door in my face....;)

@PEG mate , I think you have a tile missing. ;)

should i drill smaller pilot hole first
If you're drilling a hole of 6mm diameter... there's no need for a pilot... the risk is that the drill will 'skate' off the surface... so make sure you've applied some masking tape, and be VERY careful. Once the point of the drill has bitten into the surface, it gets safer... but go slow.

Reply to How to Drill into Ceramic/porcelain Tile Without Cracking It in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock