Discuss How to find electrician job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello, I'm writing this post for an advice. Thank you. So my name is Yani Hristov. I am from abroad- Bulgaria. Moved here 5 months ago, because of the opportunities that this country gives to young people. Currently I work as factory operative, but my goal is to work as an electrician. I have bachelors degree in electronics engineering from my country. I've read something on internet and I understood that it doesnt worth anything here, so i found courses for NVQ LEVELS 1 - 3. I started them, but all jobs require experience in this job. What should I do. I saw some apprenticeship programs, but payment is too low, i need to pay my rent and Bill's. What should I do? Thank you!

Indeed, not a good time to be looking!

Generally electrician work is regulated to some extent in most countries, and they all have specific regulations that have to be understood and used when doing any work. Having a degree in electronics is a great start as you should know the basic principles, but there are a lot of specific requirements for this job.

In the UK most low voltage (as in below 1kV) work comes under the IET publication "Requirements for Electrical Installations" BS 7671:2018 (now in its 18th version, coincidentally published 2018), generally known as the "wiring regulations". As well as this British Standard, the IET also publish a whole set of guidance notes to help explain the key points of the rather dull read that is BS 7671 (but those notes are not essential) .

Unfortunately this lot of books is not cheap, the regs cost £95, and the guidance notes, should you buy all 8 of them, comes to the princely sum of £265. If you want to be an electrician then at some point you will need your own copy of BS 7671, but for learning enough to demonstrate competence there are much easier and cheaper books aimed at courses such as the NVQ or City & Guilds courses (which I guess you have, as I just noticed you have started the NVQ?).

As you say, at some point you will also need to demonstrate the practical skills for which an apprenticeship is the usual route. You might be able to pass the practical assessment just by studying around your current job, but it is not easy to juggle your time. Others here might have more useful advice than myself.

Sorry I can't think of any better route!

Last edited:
Indeed, not a good time to be looking!

Generally electrician work is regulated to some extent in most countries, and they all have specific regulations that have to be understood and used when doing any work. Having a degree in electronics is a great start as you should know the basic principles, but there are a lot of specific requirements for this job.

In the UK most low voltage (as in below 1kV) work comes under the IET publication "Requirements for Electrical Installations" BS 7671:2018 (now in its 18th version, coincidentally published 2018), generally known as the "wiring regulations". As well as this British Standard, the IET also publish a whole set of guidance notes to help explain the key points of the rather dull read that is BS 7671 (but those notes are not essential) .

Unfortunately this lot of books is not cheap, the regs cost £95, and the guidance notes, should you buy all 8 of them, comes to the princely sum of £265. If you want to be an electrician then at some point you will need your own copy of BS 7671, but for learning enough to demonstrate competence there are much easier and cheaper books aimed at courses such as the NVQ or City & Guilds courses (which I guess you have, as I just noticed you have started the NVQ?).

As you say, at some point you will also need to demonstrate the practical skills for which an apprenticeship is the usual route. You might be able to pass the practical assessment just by studying around your current job, but it is not easy to juggle your time. Others here might have more useful advice than myself.

Sorry I can't think of any better route!
Yes, I started NVQ course, from level 1 to 3 that includes wiring regulations and city and guilds too , but the main problem is that most of the jobs even for mates require experience, that I dont know from where to get. Is the workshop practicals count as an experience or no...really I dont know if these courses help me to find a job. What is your opinion? Thank you very much!

Reply to How to find electrician job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock