Discuss How to get a 41A oven working on a 13A plug...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I Knew it was going to be one of those days when my first customer couldn't understand why his 9.5kw standalone oven/hob kept cutting out because it was on the old gas ignition 1mm flex & plug. I showed him the how the cable was red hot and the plug half melted but, as usual in these cases, because "it had worked" for sometime I was expected to replace the cable and plug and he'd take his chances. I explained I couldn't do that (if you ask why I would suggest you put your head in an oven... a gas one.. 😏) and he'd need a new circuit putting in. To top it off, the socket behind the cooker was a spur and then spurred to the cooker hood 🧐

I'm assuming as the current would have been about 19-20A that is why the fuse didn't blow (have I got 20A to blow a 13A fuse right?)

Because he was reluctant to pay for a new circuit I considered whether replacing the cable and fusing the plug at 7A would work as a temp measure if he kept the power down (as 7A would protect the plug from setting fire?) but he didn't want to reduce the power ergo I ruled it out and said the only thing I could do is install a new circuit (with blooming concrete floor, typical).

Just interested in any thoughts from you lovely brainboxes 🙂

I quite agree. I'm just interested in theoretical views on whether upgrading the cable to stop it burning out & downgrading the fuse to 7A to protect the plug from setting fire, and lowering the oven usage to stop the fuse constantly blowing would work (in theory) ... or whether I need to sit out of the sun for a bit lol

I showed him the how the cable was red hot and the plug half melted but, as usual in these cases, because "it had worked" for sometime I was expected to replace the cable and plug and he'd take his chances.
Uhh.... users.

If I was told this I'd walk away from it, like, I'm not in the mood to be held responsible for a wacko setting his flat on fire and then saying it's MY fault for incorrectly wiring the oven, because... everyone knows someone like that will never admit it's his fault.

I considered whether replacing the cable and fusing the plug at 7A would work as a temp measure if he kept the power down
Pretty Mouth is right, this wouldn't work, the second after you leave you'll have the guy replacing the 7 amp fuse with aluminum foil or a nail.

There's only one way around this issue and it's creating a new circuit with proper wiring and breakers, not sure how exactly you do it in the UK but if I were to do this locally I'd had to run wires from the breaker box to where the oven is and add a second breaker there to wire the oven, in domestic environments there can't be sockets and plugs involved with currents greater than 32A.

I just LOVE the fact that you even have 7A fuses in your bag!
I have 3,5,7,10 and 13...most of the 13A ones have come from plugs where I have replaced them with 3 or 5...
but. in your particular case, no way!

I just LOVE the fact that you even have 7A fuses in your bag!
I have 3,5,7,10 and 13...most of the 13A ones have come from plugs where I have replaced them with 3 or 5...
but. in your particular case, no way!
Lol! yeh, I have a few. Although not as many 13A as you never need them! All FCUs come with 13A (for some reason) but I've almost always had to replace them for 3A (mainly) and occasionally 5A. I think we should start a petition for manufacturers to supply FCUs with 3A. Much more useful lol.

You're right Carolina, I think he would have changed the fuse. He was trying to pursaude me to do a fixitupa but I stood firm and, as said, explained I'm not going to be responsible for his kids deaths. It does amaze me how so many people aren't concerned with safety and give the "It worked before" line. I want you to be a cowboy and charge like a cowboy, but be one that's competent - is the impression I get 🤔

I'm not in the mood to be held responsible for a wacko setting his flat on fire and then saying it's MY fault for incorrectly wiring the oven, because... everyone knows someone like that will never admit it's his fault.
The customer would be quite correct to blame the fire on the electrician.
The electrician is a professional, and the customer is a fool. The customer has every right to expect the professional to leave the installation in a FOOLproof condition.

If you voiced concerns over possible “solutions” such as a 7A fuse, I can see mr customer replacing it himself, and then telling authorities an electrician did it.

CYA.

Did you take photographs? Leave him a written explanation, or at least write something down for your own records?

Reply to How to get a 41A oven working on a 13A plug...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net