Discuss How To Get A JIB Card. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyrick1973

Hi.

I have completed the basic courses that have allowed me to work self employed on domestic dwellings. City & Guilds 2392 Fundamental Inspection & Testing etc, Part P and the 17th Edition wiring regs.

I am told I need to complete the level 3 NVQ in Electrical Installation.

I live in Manchester and I would appreciate any advice as to what actual course I need to attend and where to go for training. Also, do I need to a further course if I joined the NIC EIC and did the 2394/2395 courses?
Would I still be eligible for a JIB gold card?

Thanks.

I still haven't got around to doing my NVQ3 (badgering my employer to pay for it), so therefore do not have a JIB card, but I am actually glad that it's that way, and does seperate the wheat from the chuff when it comes to the Electrical Trainee.

Really need to get that sorted so I can actually get an Approved grade JIB.

There are 5000 new dwellings being built within a square mile of where I live. I am told that I can't work on these sites as I don't have the JIB card. As the properties are all flats and houses, why can't my domestic installer certificates suffice?

Because, to put it bluntly, you don't know what you're doing. A proper sparks will attend college 1 day a week for 4 years, while working with an experienced electrician for the other 4 days. You've had, what, 5 weeks training?

And a JIB card is about knowing how to do things safely as well as just doing them.

There are 5000 new dwellings being built within a square mile of where I live. I am told that I can't work on these sites as I don't have the JIB card. As the properties are all flats and houses, why can't my domestic installer certificates suffice?

Because the employers require properly trained individuals and insist on JIB graded electricians. I'm sorry but you do not meet this criteria.
The courses you have done are just a very small part of the full training that an electrician undertakes. There is no such thing as a domestic installer or domestic installer certificates in the eyes of the JIB or much of the industry. I am afraid you have probably been misled by the training company and you hold inadequate training and knowledge to be holding a JIB card.
If you want in on the new housing work you can either train for your full NVQ and apply for a JIB card, or do a health and safety test to gain a CSCS/ECS card and seek employment as a labourer for an electrical firm involved in the builds.

Reply to How To Get A JIB Card. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock