Discuss How to get electrical experience? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,
my first post here, and I need some advice.

I have got a Level 3 diploma in electrical installation. And I am looking for work experience to get my NVQ 3.
I keep applying to apprenticeships, and electrician mate/improver position, but had no luck so far.

If anyone has any advice for me it would be very much appreciated. I am based in West Kent.

Cheers

If its just to get your NVQ 3 contact local one man bands and offer to work for free in exchange for a few photos and maybe a write up from them if needed. Tell them what work you need to cover.

I know if someone offered to come work for me for free there are a few jobs where I could have done with some help I would have given them a go. If they saved me time which made me more money I would then also give them a bit of pay.

Alternatively offer to do things for friends and family so they pay for parts only.

If its just to get your NVQ 3 contact local one man bands and offer to work for free in exchange for a few photos and maybe a write up from them if needed. Tell them what work you need to cover.

I know if someone offered to come work for me for free there are a few jobs where I could have done with some help I would have given them a go. If they saved me time which made me more money I would then also give them a bit of pay.

Alternatively offer to do things for friends and family so they pay for parts only.
Thanks, I will try that now.

Is it worth asking large electrical and construction comapnies to volunteer for work experience?

I think you are more likely to get work experience from a one man band. But thats just my opinion. I know my insurance covers me for employers liability insurance for paying someone upto £5k. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Not sure on the requirements for NVQ3, but getting any experience you can is going to be helpful, even if it's 'mates rates' or family/friends who are willing to let you do things.

It's always a bit of a vicious circle getting enough experience to get the positions where you can get experience...

You aren't far from me, so if you want to pm me some details I can bear you in mind if a job where an extra pair of hands would help comes up. Typically I've just about finished a large one where I would have killed for a 'mate' to assist with testing/installing.

Some of the jobs I end up would probably put you off for life though!

Not sure on the requirements for NVQ3, but getting any experience you can is going to be helpful, even if it's 'mates rates' or family/friends who are willing to let you do things.

It's always a bit of a vicious circle getting enough experience to get the positions where you can get experience...

You aren't far from me, so if you want to pm me some details I can bear you in mind if a job where an extra pair of hands would help comes up. Typically I've just about finished a large one where I would have killed for a 'mate' to assist with testing/installing.

Some of the jobs I end up would probably put you off for life though!

Reply to How to get electrical experience? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net