Discuss How to keep an 24 way 3 phase DB neat, when fully loaded with RCBO's in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest 004

Currently doing an install, with an 24 way 3 phase DB, and it is fully loaded with RCBO's, and it is getting very messy with the 'coil' of neutral off the RCBO to the neutral bar, and even some of the 'fly' earths are too short.

Also what are peoples opinions on ty-rapping loomed cables inside a DB?

So any recommendations of how to keep this neat?, and what to do with the earth (can only think of crimping it)

Don’t like the idea of ty-wrapping cores just in case a terminal does burn and damages others. But there again it’s only the same risk as any other type of panel.
Looks like crimping the earths is your only way out unless you can fit supplementary earth bars.

Sorry for not being much help, but you’ve seen the board, I haven’t.

if you have coiled neutrals try gently streaching them this will straighten them run all the lives to gether then all the neutrals together and all the earths get some cable tie self adhesive bases and cable tie them to the back i hate curley neutrals they are the pants

Don't like cables being ty-wrapped either as you can't get the heat disappated away from the cables in the centre if all are ty-wrapped together also it is a B****** to remove cables from DB at a later date.

Why do you want to crimp the earths together?

I don’t know about the rest of you but as an apprentice I was taught not to curl cables because of inductance. Here we have manufacturers doing it for you! Under a heavy fault those curly tails will bounce like Zebedee.

I know Mr Enigma it’s not your fault, but to me that looks a mess.

I was always going to loom the final circuits, then cut the ty raps after, but what am I supposed to do with the neutral coils off the RCBO'S

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I didn’t make my self clear, if you can pull the coils straight then loom them. If possible use something to stiffen the loom. I once used a plastic knitting needle down the centre of a loom to keep it straight. The loom looked good, the wife had a face like thunder!

had to replace an rcbo in a 20 module crabtree loadstar DB last week....18 RCBO's in a single phase CU..!!......took me 10 minutes to find the neutral bar... .......:speechless:

I agree, RCBO's make a right rats nest, got some B type Hager 16A RCBO's the other day and neither the earth fly lead or neutral could reach the bars at the bottom of the dis brd....crap. Something to look out for.

Just add this was on a Hager brd as well!

Last edited:
I had a 36w once 32 w used, what a nightmere should be a better design rcbo,s stiffer cable for a start this was a sq d i went tie bases earths to outside lives middle n to inside but ask for the coils just tried to push them out of way at the bottom after pulling them tight and straight

here is a thought.why do manufacturers space the pan assembly about 50mm off the enclosure so you could get all the cables down the back in a neat way.
without having to bundle them altogether with cable ties (which i dont like btw)
or possibly have an earth and neutral busbar connection which would fit direct onto the rcbo.something like the merlin gerin isobar thing would stop you blowing up the db when you try to retrofit an rcbo.

Reply to How to keep an 24 way 3 phase DB neat, when fully loaded with RCBO's in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net