Discuss How to legally work as self employed Electrician. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have been a qualified electrician for over 10 years working for others and now im trying to transision into to starting my own electrical installation / maintenance company. I'm a little confused as to what is required before I can legally work in other peoples properties.

I thought I needed

1. Registration with governing body
2. Liabilty insurance

I have been looking at becoming a member with the NiCEIC but the confusing part is they want to see my work to assess.

I dont understand How to do this if I need to be a member before I can work in other peoples property?

I imagine it's really simple but not sure the best route to take

Please can someone help me plan a route

Thanks in advance for any advice / guidance

If you search there are numerous other thread about this.

Basically apply to scheme, do your jobs and certificate and then get the scheme to assess you. Once registered notify Building Control of works. At least that’s how I think you do it in Englan/Wales.

If you search there are numerous other thread about this.

Basically apply to scheme, do your jobs and certificate and then get the scheme to assess you. Once registered notify Building Control of works. At least that’s how I think you do it in Englan/Wales.

Thanks for your input Richy

By scheme do you mean like NICEIC?

Is it legal to work if not a member of a scheme?

I will also check the forum for similar posts

Thanks for your input Richy

By scheme do you mean like NICEIC?

Is it legal to work if not a member of a scheme?

I will also check the forum for similar posts

It would be expensive if you are doing notifiable work.

It would be expensive if you are doing notifiable work.
Im not too sure what you mean

I thought 90% is notifiable work these days?

I feel so disconnected and confused - Have been working maintenance roles for other companies for the past.

Such a different world from the installation side of things I first started with..

I'm just trying to put a road map together on how to start my own business but feel like I'm stuck in a loop on what to do..

Have looked on this forum but havnt found exactly what I'm looking for still

I feel like just getting my liability insurance and cracking on but this will come to bite me in the --- down the line I'm sure

I was just meaning that if you aren't in a scheme then it will be expensive if you are doing notifiable work.

Im not too sure what you mean

I thought 90% is notifiable work these days?

I feel so disconnected and confused - Have been working maintenance roles for other companies for the past.

Such a different world from the installation side of things I first started with..

I'm just trying to put a road map together on how to start my own business but feel like I'm stuck in a loop on what to do..

Have looked on this forum but havnt found exactly what I'm looking for still

I feel like just getting my liability insurance and cracking on but this will come to bite me in the --- down the line I'm sure
notifiable work is basicaly :

1. new circuits

2.new CU

3. all work in a bathroom ( except like for like replacements )

full details by downloading part p from planning portal.

for above if not in niceic or other scam, you have to notify building control in advance and pay around £300,

if youse just starting out as self-employed, start with non-notifiable works, provide certificates, etc. contact a scam and find out the requirements. then you can do some notifiable jobs for inspection, join scam and notify via scam once joined.

however, some local aurthotities will accept your work if not in a scam, once you have provided them with your quals. depends what area you are working

To comply with BS7671 and undertake electrical work you need to be qualified and competent to do so. Above this any work notifies me to building control you are best being with a scheme as it’s cheaper in the long run. This all assumes you are in England.

notifiable work is basicaly :

1. new circuits

2.new CU

3. all work in a bathroom ( except like for like replacements )

full details by downloading part p from planning portal.

for above if not in niceic or other scam, you have to notify building control in advance and pay around £300,

if youse just starting out as self-employed, start with non-notifiable works, provide certificates, etc. contact a scam and find out the requirements. then you can do some notifiable jobs for inspection, join scam and notify via scam once joined.

however, some local aurthotities will accept your work if not in a scam, once you have provided them with your quals. depends what area you are working

This is really helpful - Thank you

So let me see if I got this right and also some clarification needed please

1. Learn how to spell electrician lol

1a. Do non notifiable work - You mentioned certification.. I have my 2391 - can I certify if I'm not a member of a scheme? Landlords ask me if I can certify and iv always turned them down thinking I have to be a member of the scams to do so.. (Periodic inspections etc.)

Other than certificates all I can think for non notifiable is minor works and like for like replacements...?

2. Do notifiable works once I have confirmed with scam what they require of me and pay building control before each contract.

3. Have Scam asses works and join to stop having to pay building control of notifiable works

Then I'm on my way...

Does that sound about right guys?
[automerge]1590876480[/automerge]
To comply with BS7671 and undertake electrical work you need to be qualified and competent to do so. Above this any work notifies me to building control you are best being with a scheme as it’s cheaper in the long run. This all assumes you are in England.

Thanks Richy

Are you telling me I can certify my own work too? And this will be acceptable with building control, As long as I have notified them in advance?

Say for example I have a house rewire:

Now I'm Thinking as long as I have notified building control I can complete this contract and certify without having to be a member of a scheme?

Last edited:
Now I'm Thinking as long as I have notified building control I can complete this contract and certify without having to be a member of a scheme?
If you're not a member of a scam... you'd need to notify building control before you start, then tell them when you've finished. They'll then send someone to inspect/test your work and fleece charge you about £400 (depends on which council it is).

If you're a scam member... do the work then notify via the scam.

The general opinion is that the only largest benefit of scam membership is the ability to notify via the scam.

I think I'm right in saying that there are many members of this most esteemed forum who are not scam members, choosing to save the fees by doing only non-notifiable work.

If you're not a member of a scam... you'd need to notify building control before you start, then tell them when you've finished. They'll then send someone to inspect/test your work and fleece charge you about £400 (depends on which council it is).

If you're a scam member... do the work then notify via the scam.

The general opinion is that the only largest benefit of scam membership is the ability to notify via the scam.

I think I'm right in saying that there are many members of this most esteemed forum who are not scam members, choosing to save the fees by doing only non-notifiable work.

Thanks Zerax - My aim is to be doing notifiable works so I'm guessing I will have to bite the bullet / price in the fees until I join a scheme and have had my work assessed..

I didnt realise they would need to test the work - This will be more then from what I understand of my local authorities prices

Thanks Zerax - My aim is to be doing notifiable works so I'm guessing I will have to bite the bullet / price in the fees until I join a scheme and have had my work assessed..

I didnt realise they would need to test the work - This will be more then from what I understand of my local authorities prices
start with non-notifiabe works. then, once you have applied to a scheme, do a couple of notifiable jobs for your initial scheme inspection, , then sort out the notification through them. no fees to LABC.

start with non-notifiabe works. then, once you have applied to a scheme, do a couple of notifiable jobs for your initial scheme inspection, , then sort out the notification through them. no fees to LABC.

@telectrix does the below test sound about right and could you / anyone give me clarification on the testing side of things please

Step 1. Do non notifiable work - You mentioned certification.. I have my 2391 - can I certify if I'm not a member of a scheme? Landlords ask me if I can certify and iv always turned them down thinking I have to be a member of the scams to do so.. (Periodic inspections etc.) Other than certificates all I can think for non notifiable is minor works and like for like replacements...?

Step 2. Do notifiable works once I have confirmed with scam what they require of me and pay building control before each contract.

Step 3. Have Scam asses works and join to stop having to pay building control of notifiable works Then I'm on my way... Does that sound about right guys?

you can certify all your work as long as you have the test gear and are competent to test/inspect/certify.

why pay BC when you can notify through your scheme once accepted?worry about notification once you have joined.

why pay BC when you can notify through your scheme once accepted?worry about notification once you have joined.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didnt understand last paragraph
[automerge]1590925660[/automerge]

Sorry I didnt understand last paragraph

I'm assuming scheme will want to inspect notifiable works but guess I need to speak to them before I make assumptions

If I can get on the scheme through showing non notifiable work - ten that would be ideal

most schems will want to see a couple of jobs. 1 major, like a new circuit or CU change, and maybe 1 minor. some members have done a CU change in a relative's property at reasonable discount,or even at your own house, just to get a major job for inspection.

most schems will want to see a couple of jobs. 1 major, like a new circuit or CU change, and maybe 1 minor. some members have done a CU change in a relative's property at reasonable discount,or even at your own house, just to get a major job for inspection.

Thank you much appreciated
[automerge]1590926572[/automerge]
Thanks everyone for your input - has been very helpful and given me some clarity and focus on my next steps - much appreciated

Reply to How to legally work as self employed Electrician. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock