Discuss How to make sure the wire I used for my smart switch is neutral? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, I live in Saudi Arabia. I just installed a smart light switch that requires a neutral line, as in this picture :

20220224_115024.jpg

when I opened the switch light outlet I found a black wire capped inside and not used, I used a voltage detector on the black wire and there was no voltage. So I thought it is neutral.

I have also opened a 110V outlet to check the color code of the neutral wire and it was black.

The smart light switch have actually worked great. However, I dont wanna leave things to chance and I want to make sure that black wire is actually neutral. So to be certain I guess my question is, since my smart light switch worked, does that mean a 100% the black wire is neutral? Or is there some other configuration that can happen which make the smart switch work somehow without a neutral that might cause some danger to my house?

I believe the black wire is indeed a neutral.
Partly because it wasn’t attached to the original switch, and partly because your smart switch is now actually working.

It is good to ask though.

Reply to How to make sure the wire I used for my smart switch is neutral? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, i’ve been trying to buy a smart switch 1 gang 1 way but i opened my conventional wall switch and i only have 1 red wire(Live Old UK) 1 black...
Replies
Views
L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L
Hi. I am trying to replace a heating timer with a smart switch. The current timer is the type with a dial on the front and 1 to 24 written on it...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I bought one of those smart switches, specifically the Kasa 3 way kit (HS210 KIT). But when I opened my 3 way dumb switches I see...
Replies
Views
I replaced a single pole to exterior lights with a smart switch. Next to it is a 3way to my foyer light. The foyer and the smart switch to...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock