Discuss how to make the hole in tiled wall nice? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am going to install an extract fan in a bathroom. it is on first floor. it should be a quick job but the outside wall is tiled wall, the tiles are about 100mmx100mm, how to make it nice? can i just buy this kit?

how to make the hole in tiled wall nice? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

cheers

certainly not mate, i do worry about the tiles, i assume they are easy to break, what kind of tool you use to give the tiles a nice percussion? i have to cut about 3 tiles to make a circular hole with diameter 110mm

Hi Bluesky, Do you mean the wall is tiled with ceramic tiles or clay/concrete roof(plain tile). If its the plain roof tiles they are usually 150mm wide but they are overlapped so its not a straightforward job. You'll end up having to take off 5 or 6 and cut some to go up to vent.Google redland plain tiles if it looks like them you may be better off getting a roofer involved if your not used to roofing. Hope this is of some help!

Regards

Lee

why dont you put an in line duct fan in and use a flat extract channel and bring the extract out in the soffit no holes to drill through wall or risk of damaging the tiles , that is of course if you have enogh space there

Don't know if it'd work but what about one of those compass style circular glass cutters? My initial thoought, though, would be a diamond core on slow with plenty of lubrication.

What is the wall made out of mate? If you can measure exactly where the hole should be I would go in from the outside first.
Get your pipe put it on the tiles - - draw round it with permenent marker. Then use a small drill and drill holes all the way round your drawn circle. Then using a tile cutter saw cut the hole out - then rasp it down smooth. Then drill in the center a pilot hole right through the wall to inside. Then get core cutter and come back the other way - fit your pipe and kit - job done.

If it's not on the roof, drill your pilot hole from the inside first. Then take your 110mm diamond core cutter and cut half way to three quarters way through from the inside. Set up a zip up scaffold outside and then go up to the first floor where your pilot has came through, put your pilot back in the hole where you've came out and core from the outside in.

Or if yu think this will burst the tiles off the outside wall when the initial pilot comes through

Put your pilot through from the outside to the inside first and core from the outside to the inside first. If there are tiles on the inside too, you'll need to warn your client that there is likely to be some carnage (for which you are not responsible for the cost of repair for).

hope this helps

Reply to how to make the hole in tiled wall nice? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock