Discuss How to make y split extension in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thenoob

DIY
Reaction score
So I am building an extension in my shop to run some 30 amp appliances and I just wanted to split the outlet and make a Y like this product5A00161F-8094-4E22-9F08-96D6D7064C04.png
Would I just use a junction box and then take some wire nuts and connect the 3 + together then the 3 - and finally the 3 grounds? Then just wire up the plug and receptacles?

Any information appreciated.

TL;DR
Building an extension chord, would like to split it into a Y but need to figure out exactly how,
So I am building an extension in my shop to run some 30 amp appliances and I just wanted to split the outlet and make a Y like this productView attachment 54011
Would I just use a junction box and then take some wire nuts and connect the 3 + together then the 3 - and finally the 3 grounds? Then just wire up the plug and receptacles?

Is that cord going to have 120vac or 240vac

It will be 240
That makes more since, when I saw the plug configuration it about had to be 240vac
[automerge]1574375326[/automerge]
So I am building an extension in my shop to run some 30 amp appliances and I just wanted to split the outlet and make a Y like this productView attachment 54011

First off what you want is what we call a spider box. I would have at least a 6x6x4 inch PVC box for box fill calculations and yes you can splice them but make sure you use strain relief connectors to protect your cables

Last edited:

Reply to How to make y split extension in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net