Discuss How to notify LABC?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Cirrus

I have a private job coming up which is complete board change, new tails, new main earth & equipotential bonding replacement as well as various other bits and bobs. The guy I normally use to certify my work is unavailable so, I am happy to test it myself and complete required paperwork but - I have never done it through the LABC before. How do I go about it and any ideas as to costs?

Cirrus

most LABC's you can download the building notification form on their website

it goes as a percentage of the overall job cost, but will generally be at least a ton

its annoying because within that cost is a fee for inspecting and testing, so even though you are doing it yourself, you still gotta pay!

Thanks Shakey, looked into and they want £140 +VAT!:eek: I think it is an outrage - sooner I get myself registered with a body the better.

So when you quote for the work, do you get the price from LABC and add that to the price you are gonna charge or do you just have to swallow the LABC cost?

danzor, so do they just take your cash and not bother checking your work?

Man, you start throwing £140 + vat onto small work like a board change and see how much work you lose! On a full rewire you could factor it in yes, but it is a shame to when that money should really be going in your pocket

I think that is the idea. I bet it doesn't happen in practice though.

nah, if you test and inspect it yourself, they will take your certificate, say 'cheers' and thats that

or should that be 'cheers easy'

True!

So would you say 350 would be about the right money to do a board change, inc parts?

and do you think the LABC would let you test it etc if you havnt got 2391?

True!

So would you say 350 would be about the right money to do a board change, inc parts?

and do you think the LABC would let you test it etc if you havnt got 2391?

well they cant actually stop you testing it, but wether or not they accept your certs is a diffent matter:rolleyes:

Danzor is right, you may find that the £140 plus VAT is a price per visit and from what ive read LABC insist on themselves coming out twice.

Once to inspect the first fix before matey boy the plaster covers it all up.

And again on completion.

Dunno if they still would with a board change but best to check if you are considering this route.

Cirrus I too am considering joining Elecsa soon. Do you know much about Napit? Havent really looked into their prices/website etc yet. I do know I wont be contacting the NICEIC. Seems the majority of stuff I read about them is bad and thats from their members!

Napit seems very good but not far off NIC on cost I hear. Elecsa is by far the cheapest. I don't give a crap how NIC may look on my van, just want to be able to sign off!

per visit?!?! that's ridiculous!

and what sort of prices do you charge for a db change?

If doing other works then around £250 - £300. If just a board change and test then £400

when you say other works i presume you mean on top of the db change, if so, why less money for more work?

lol i know im pretty new to doing any PJ's and pricing for my own work but.......

The way I see it is that you are already there doing work so already got tools on site. Got to be careful because if you are making 300 profit on a board change and say £200 on another job then you start to take the **** and people won't use you if they feel that your £500 for a day is a rip-off (which they will). I try to be fair and not too greedy.

The way I see it is that you are already there doing work so already got tools on site. Got to be careful because if you are making 300 profit on a board change and say £200 on another job then you start to take the **** and people won't use you if they feel that your £500 for a day is a rip-off (which they will). I try to be fair and not too greedy.

Good point and good advice! thank you!

i know it depends on alot of things but how long would you give yourself for a board change?

Reply to How to notify LABC?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock