Discuss How to power cree led in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have purchased a 16 mm 10 watt Cree LED (XM-L2) and a constant current voltage driver, the spec sheet for the LED has a maximum of 3 amps. I limited my driver to 2.5 amps connected it to the 12 volt battery in my car. Now the led worked when I powered on my lights normally but when I locked my car and the parking lights flashed, it burned out. Is it because my voltage was not limited?

Did you use a constant current driver, or a constant voltage driver ?
How did you connect it ?
Your question can be summarised as "I connected some unspecified stuff in an unspecified way and something went wrong".
There are a couple of key things to remember. That sort of device had both thermal and electrical limitations - ignore either and it'll probably fail sooner or later.
Thermal wise, LEDs (contrary to what many say) do produce heat - just a lot less than (e.g.) incandescent lighting of the same light output. Most high power LED modules need heat sinking according to the operating environment - run them without a heat sink and they'll over heat and stop working.
Electrically, they MUST be driven by a constant current source - or more technically, you must control the current through it. The current can be smooth or pulsed - but you must keep within the limits for the device. The pulse capacity may be a higher current than for a smooth DC current - but the duty cycle will be limited to achieve a similar effective current.

Did you use a constant current driver, or a constant voltage driver ?
How did you connect it ?
Your question can be summarised as "I connected some unspecified stuff in an unspecified way and something went wrong".
There are a couple of key things to remember. That sort of device had both thermal and electrical limitations - ignore either and it'll probably fail sooner or later.
Thermal wise, LEDs (contrary to what many say) do produce heat - just a lot less than (e.g.) incandescent lighting of the same light output. Most high power LED modules need heat sinking according to the operating environment - run them without a heat sink and they'll over heat and stop working.
Electrically, they MUST be driven by a constant current source - or more technically, you must control the current through it. The current can be smooth or pulsed - but you must keep within the limits for the device. The pulse capacity may be a higher current than for a smooth DC current - but the duty cycle will be limited to achieve a similar effective current.
I limited the current but I didn't limit the voltage. The device has the ability to limit both, and I think it is supposed to keep it constant. The spec sheet says a limit of 3 amps at 2.9 volts. Was the mistake I made not limiting the voltage? It ran perfectly fine for almost 2 minutes straight, and afterwards I locked my car, the parking lights flashed and it burnt out before it even flashed a second time.

I limited the current but I didn't limit the voltage. The device has the ability to limit both, and I think it is supposed to keep it constant. The spec sheet says a limit of 3 amps at 2.9 volts. Was the mistake I made not limiting the voltage? It ran perfectly fine for almost 2 minutes straight, and afterwards I locked my car, the parking lights flashed and it burnt out before it even flashed a second time.

Attachments

• How to power cree led Screenshot_2021-11-07-15-06-49-471_com.amazon.mShop.android.shoppin - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot_2021-11-07-15-06-49-471_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 3
I assume you are simply connecting the LED to the output terminals, setting the current limit, and applying 12V to the input ? AFAICS that should "just work".
So when it burned out, what was the input connected to ?
Also, is the LED electrically isolated from the car ? I don't know what circuit this device uses, but some of them can have problems if whatever is connected o the output isn't otherwise electrically isolated.

I assume you are simply connecting the LED to the output terminals, setting the current limit, and applying 12V to the input ? AFAICS that should "just work".
So when it burned out, what was the input connected to ?
Also, is the LED electrically isolated from the car ? I don't know what circuit this device uses, but some of them can have problems if whatever is connected o the output isn't otherwise electrically isolated.
Yes the input is wired to the parking light for the vehicle, the bulb was inside of the headlight so it should have been electrically isolated. I don't think at any point there was wiring touching any other metal.

Reply to How to power cree led in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock