Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss How to retrain as a cable jointer?? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markthespark

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi i am currently working as an electrician i have been doing it for about 4 years now and im fed up and need a change i have always been interested in the electricity distribution network and cable jointing.

I was wondering how i would go about retraining as a LV cable jointer?

I have seen various courses on the internet for about 6 grand but i dont want to pay all that money and they not be able to get a job because i dont have any experience.

Also i dont want to be classed as a bog standard apprentice on rice and bread per hour as i couldnt really afford much of a pay cut.

Does anyone have experience of jointing on here? I would be interested to know what you thought of it and the downsides and benefits?

Cheers

I dont know anything about cable jointers, but couldn't you loose a day a week as an electrician for a cable jointer, and slowly go into that skill, then 2 days, 3 days, then full time etc

M

markthespark

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi thanks for the reply, yeah thats what id like to do, buts its finding a company who will let me do that, im willing to pay for my training i just need some part time onsite experience to become competant.

Most firms that carryout cable jointing are REC's and large utility companys who arnt really interested.

M

mark111

hi mark, don`t want to put you off,each to their own and all that, but next time it`s wet and windy look out the window then imagine standing in a bucket up the height of a pole your face and hands numb,soaked through and no one offering a cup of tea.Spent years doing it then decided to do domestic electrics instead and never looked back.but good luck whatever you decide.mark111

M

markthespark

Hi Mark thanks for that yeah ive thought about that and everytime i have to go outside in the cold i hate it ha, but this is something i am really interested in, until i see it for myself i think i will always keep trying. Im doing domestic electrics at the moment and i find it so boring, theres no interest there at all.

Cheers for the advice tho mate

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Reply to How to retrain as a cable jointer?? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Top Bottom