• IMPORTANT: The thread you're reading / posting in, could be in a DIY electrical advice area. Please be aware of your local laws. You're not allowed to provide advice to, or seek advice from, DIYers and fellow professionals in some States, Countries, Countys etc with regards to some types of electrical installations or repairs. Keep that in mind. If it's against the law where you are - always get a professional electrician in to carry out the works instead of doing it yourself. The forum will not be held responsible for any outcome of any applications of any advice sought from it.
Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss How to safely cap earth wire for a ceiling light in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi
I've just bought a new ceiling light for the bathroom which does not need an earth connection. Unhelpfully, the light fitting makes no provision to safely terminate the earth wire coming from the electrics; see pic:

https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/a/XSJfLZ0

This leaves me with the dilemma of what to do with the earth wire coming out of the ceiling.

I do have a terminator from another old light fitting here:

https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/a/1kJIXph

However, I'm not sure if this should be used. It's clearly meant to be screwed into the light fitting to keep it safe and secure but I can't screw this into my new plastic light fitting.

Any advice - could I use this terminator or should I buy something else? And what should I do to make the terminator secure - can I just leave it sitting next to the live and neutral connection?

Thanks

newlightfitting.JPG

terminal block.JPG

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
just put it in a single choc block.

Depending on what your exposed cable(s) are like coming through the ceiling.....ie is it a 3 core flex or twin and earth (flat grey type sheathed cable) you can either do as telectrix suggests.....just unscrew connector block off metal plate and cut it so you only have one connector and what I tend to do is once terminated wrap connector with electrical insulation tape (that way if it were to wander no chance of shortening out.)

PS if it's not flexed down already you could use a connector strip (but may need another strip to separate switched and permanent lives and get a bit of 2 core flex from connector into fitting).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks both. Attaching pic of the exposed cable. I’ve done as suggested and unscrewed the connector block from the metal plate and cut into a single block. I’m going to feed the earth into that

71FCE562-4255-4384-B036-5DF32ED5FA7F.jpeg

9AAF4E2E-8D59-41DA-AFC8-D0CE27E45379.jpeg

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

Reply to How to safely cap earth wire for a ceiling light in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
Top Bottom