Discuss How to safely cap earth wire for a ceiling light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Matt D

-
Reaction score
Hi
I've just bought a new ceiling light for the bathroom which does not need an earth connection. Unhelpfully, the light fitting makes no provision to safely terminate the earth wire coming from the electrics; see pic:

https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/a/XSJfLZ0

This leaves me with the dilemma of what to do with the earth wire coming out of the ceiling.

I do have a terminator from another old light fitting here:

https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/a/1kJIXph

However, I'm not sure if this should be used. It's clearly meant to be screwed into the light fitting to keep it safe and secure but I can't screw this into my new plastic light fitting.

Any advice - could I use this terminator or should I buy something else? And what should I do to make the terminator secure - can I just leave it sitting next to the live and neutral connection?

Thanks

How to safely cap earth wire for a ceiling light newlightfitting.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

How to safely cap earth wire for a ceiling light terminal block.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Depending on what your exposed cable(s) are like coming through the ceiling.....ie is it a 3 core flex or twin and earth (flat grey type sheathed cable) you can either do as telectrix suggests.....just unscrew connector block off metal plate and cut it so you only have one connector and what I tend to do is once terminated wrap connector with electrical insulation tape (that way if it were to wander no chance of shortening out.)

PS if it's not flexed down already you could use a connector strip (but may need another strip to separate switched and permanent lives and get a bit of 2 core flex from connector into fitting).

Thanks both. Attaching pic of the exposed cable. I’ve done as suggested and unscrewed the connector block from the metal plate and cut into a single block. I’m going to feed the earth into that

How to safely cap earth wire for a ceiling light 71FCE562-4255-4384-B036-5DF32ED5FA7F - EletriciansForums.net

How to safely cap earth wire for a ceiling light 9AAF4E2E-8D59-41DA-AFC8-D0CE27E45379 - EletriciansForums.net

I like the use of the word terminator here, think I'll start referring to my connectors as that from now on

Reply to How to safely cap earth wire for a ceiling light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock