Discuss how to safely decommission smoke alarm cables in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all what would comply with the regs regarding decommissioning mains smoke alarm and cables ?
eg. if cable fed from db or lights ? disconnect and put cable in to a mf junction box ?
eg. cables going in to smoke detectors, would you need to do the same to these as disconnected from the origin ? many thanks

if possible, trace cables back to source and diss.

ok what about the cables that go into the detector ? would pulling the plastic plug out the back of the detector and pushing up into the void space be enough ? or cut plug off and connector block be enough ? or could you infill the plastic plug with something so it could not be used again be ok ? anything in the regs thanks

ok what about the cables that go into the detector ? would pulling the plastic plug out the back of the detector and pushing up into the void space be enough ? or cut plug off and connector block be enough ? or could you infill the plastic plug with something so it could not be used again be ok ? anything in the regs thanks
None of that would be ok! They really need disconnecting from wherever they are supplied from, and if possible removing completely. A minimum would be to terminate the ends into maintenance free junction boxes.

Just disconnect them from the source of supply and at loads and remove if possible.
The only thing in the regs pertinent would concern the re-use of these cables at a later date, that they be assessed for their suitability for use and tested before being commissioned, none of which would be your concern.

That said, if you really wanted to you could connect all conductors to earth at the supply end if it is not desirable to remove them. It's not usually a practice seen in domestic work though.

no it won't do.

1. any cable end terminated in connectors must be inside an enclosure.

2. it's bad practice to leave "live" cables not feeding anything.

first, find out if they are on their own circuit and disconnect all cores at DB, or, if fed from lighting, find out which light they are fed from and disconnect., either way, if you leave the cable in the void, it's dead.

ok thanks all for the replies so far. the source of the cable will be put in to a mf junction box. what about the other end of the cable that goes in to the detector ? as the detector has to stay in place at least until the summer holidays for the decorators to take down and fill the holes in and paint . thanks again

once the cable has been dissed from the supply it can be left as is. it's dead, or maybe just resting.

He needs to put a sticker on the smoke alarm end saying its a Norwegian blue cable
All will then know its expired and gone to meet its maker

Love that sketch
Notlob

Reply to how to safely decommission smoke alarm cables in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net