Discuss How to setup new breaker from an extension cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Guys so my parents built me my own room in the backyard that is seperate from the main house (we have almost an acre of land) when we moved into our new house this past year but the person who built it micky moused the wiring and just made an extension cable that connects from my room to an outlet thats connected to the house. I figured out that the outlet on the outside of the main house, is connected to the kitchen breaker when it started tripping the breaker and then eventually that outlet burnted out or something because it stopped working on both connections. So I moved my extension cable and connected it to another outlet closer to the inside of the house but still technically outside and I figure out that the outlet was connected to the washer/dryer breaker because it tripped soon enough as well with this recent heat wave up in San Bernardino County, CA. my question is how can I make my own breaker designated for my rooms extension cable? This one extension cable is the source for all the power to my room including a strong indoor growing light, AC, and Computer, so I do use up quite alot of power but I shouldnt have to keep struggling with my power always tripping.

Attachments

• How to setup new breaker from an extension cable image0 (1) - EletriciansForums.net
    image0 (1).jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 15
  • How to setup new breaker from an extension cable image2 - EletriciansForums.net
    image2.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 15
  • How to setup new breaker from an extension cable image1 - EletriciansForums.net
    image1.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 15
Plug and cable are both likely to be undersized for the loads you are trying to run.
This is a job for a licensed electrician, not a DIY job.

Guys so my parents built me my own room in the backyard that is seperate from the main house (we have almost an acre of land) when we moved into our new house this past year but the person who built it micky moused the wiring and just made an extension cable that connects from my room to an outlet thats connected to the house. I figured out that the outlet on the outside of the main house, is connected to the kitchen breaker when it started tripping the breaker and then eventually that outlet burnted out or something because it stopped working on both connections. So I moved my extension cable and connected it to another outlet closer to the inside of the house but still technically outside and I figure out that the outlet was connected to the washer/dryer breaker because it tripped soon enough as well with this recent heat wave up in San Bernardino County, CA. my question is how can I make my own breaker designated for my rooms extension cable? This one extension cable is the source for all the power to my room including a strong indoor growing light, AC, and Computer, so I do use up quite alot of power but I shouldnt have to keep struggling with my power always tripping.
Henry why don’t you just hire an electrician to install a 40 amp 6 circuit sub panel and feed it from your parents main panel. What you are doing is never going to work and I’ve got to ask what’s the grow light for LOL

Henry why don’t you just hire an electrician to install a 40 amp 6 circuit sub panel and feed it from your parents main panel. What you are doing is never going to work and I’ve got to ask what’s the grow light for LOL
is around $500 a rough estimate for how much that would cost? and uh the grow light is for tomatoes *cough *cough (cannabis) lol

Megawatt has posted the ideal solution. no idea of costs in USA, but $500 looks similar to what it would cost over here.

is around $500 a rough estimate for how much that would cost? and uh the grow light is for tomatoes *cough *cough (cannabis) lol
Yes you could buy the materials for less than $ 500.00 and buy #8/3 with a ground romex wire and a 40 amp double pole breaker to install in your parent’s house panel. How about sharing with us LOL

Reply to How to setup new breaker from an extension cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock