Discuss How to size earth conductor of three phase generator in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ronpoh

75kva 3phase
Maxcurrent per phase 108A
Outgoing feeders from genset 4C 35mmsq cable + 16mmsq CPC

Earth conductor from genset earth point to earth electrode = 50mmsq

Question: why 50mmsq? Isnt 16mmsq sufficient since cpcs are sized at S/2 half of phase conductors. Are earth conductors to earth roads sized differently?

Yes they are. If I've read your question correctly then Table 54.1....... Min CSA of a burried earthing conductor.

16mm if protected against corrosion and not protected against mechanical damage
50mm if no protection at all for earthing conductor (bare copper cable/tape)

Is this a standby generator or the sole source of supply? If it’s a standby you can not use the DNO’s earth as the generator earth. They can be connected but not be the sole earth point therefore an earth spike is required. This is to protect DNO personnel working on the network. The earth CPC must be sized as above.
Again if it’s a standby the requirements for safe change over must be met.

Just to add, as it's important to note ....that a 200 ohm Ra on an earth rod(s) that is being used to earth a neutral either on a generator or a Transformer, just ain't gonna cut it. So you can forget using those short 3/8'' spikes...

Reply to How to size earth conductor of three phase generator in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi there, new to the forum and in final stages of completing C&G level 3; need to complete design project to complete. Am struggling to get my...
Replies
Views
IEC 60364-5-54 states that phase conductors 16mm2 and smaller require a CPC of the same size, over 16 to 35mm2 a 16mm2 CPC and over 35mm2 a half...
Replies
Views
Afternoon all, How do i solve these two questions, Feel like am missing something simple. doing my head in lol. I need to learn the calculation...
Replies
Views
Hi new here so take it easy chaps !! A client of mine wishes to supply their catering van from a new generator they are purchasing, I believe it...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post, and it relates to quite a challenging installation. The short version is that I'm working through remedial work on a 75 page...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock