Discuss how to split a radial light circuit into two in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Alan Mcgroarty

hi newbie post here but seems best place to get an answer.

i have a radial circuit of 5 9w led downlighters, with 2 on lower hall and 3 on upper hall, with a 4 way switch setup (1 switch downstairs the other 3 upstairs).
This arrangement is bizarre and i'd like to split the circuit in two so i can switch us/ds independently.
The drop for first switch is into a switch downstairs, and the other 3 are upstairs with a bog standard multi way wiring.

Is there ANY easy way to split the circuit without rewiring the whole shebang.

My current assumption is that I need to run effectively a new radial circuit from the JB that provides the L/N for the current circuit, up to the first fixture I want to switch independently.
I then need to put a new drop in to the first upstairs switch from that new radial. Fitting a new 2 g switch here would let me still control existing circuit, and the new one.
I can then hijack the remaining upstairs switches and use their existing wiring to now switch only the upstairs.

The only other option i can see is to use RAKO wireless but they are not really right for this sort of location, and doing the whole lot (4sw and 2controllers) is ÂŁÂŁÂŁ.

Any other elegant solutions that I missed - starting to feel resigned to some wall ripping, and paying of sparkie to do this.

any help appreciated. thanks.

Your last paragraph sums it up.

What you are trying to achieve is beyond DIY level. Lighting circuits can be complex, and there are several ways in which they can be wired up. You will not sort this job out in a forum. Another consideration is that you most likely lack appropriate test equipment and knowledge, we are talking about expensive calibrated multifunction test instruments, that must be calibrated and to a british standard, and even the best multimeter in the world won't cut it. The proper test kit can kill or injure if they are not used properly.

So i am afraid you are right, its a job for a spark.

Cheers……………Howard

Your last paragraph sums it up.

What you are trying to achieve is beyond DIY level. Lighting circuits can be complex, and there are several ways in which they can be wired up. You will not sort this job out in a forum. Another consideration is that you most likely lack appropriate test equipment and knowledge, we are talking about expensive calibrated multifunction test instruments, that must be calibrated and to a british standard, and even the best multimeter in the world won't cut it. The proper test kit can kill or injure if they are not used properly.

So i am afraid you are right, its a job for a spark.

Cheers……………Howard

Thanks for reply. I agree on the not DIY point for sure. I guess my other question implicit was is this the level of work I'm looking at getting done or are there other ways that this could be done that in particular don't involve me ripping walls and ceilings and then making good? I like forums like this esp. so I can assess if what a professional tells me if I get one round actually stacks up... Cheers Alan

You need a spark to come and have a look. It isn't always a messy wall ripping exercise, there maybe conduit in the walls and new cables can sometimes be pulled into them. But a good local spark can advise better than anyone who can't see it.

If you post your location you will get offers from someone on here.

Lightwave RF stuff could be an option...but it can be expensive and the other issue is compatibility with LEDs (though gotten a lot better recently)
I would concur on getting someone local and ideally get a few quotes and if your not sure what is being proposed sounds right, I'm sure someone on here will be willing to give you their 2p....
Where abouts are you?

Reply to how to split a radial light circuit into two in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net