Discuss How to start/finish NVQ need advice please! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

X

xanders

Hi, this is my first post :) and grateful to have found a website like this. I like many others just finished my 2330, level 3. I want to start my NVQ soon, as my family is leaving the country in 2 years time and hope to be qualified by then. Since most work at the moment being offered is temp work. Would it be possible to to get evidence from Temp work for the NVQ 3?I am going to start my 17th soon and get that out the way, was going to do the 2391, but following advice to complete it when I have more work experience, I won't do it till then. But finding permanent work is so difficult and tips tips on completing my NVQ would be appreciated.

Keep records on any work you do. Photo's of installations, names and dates of any work you did, copies of paperwork with your name on it i.e. EIC with you being down as being responsible for the construction. Cheap digital camera is handy to carry, before and after pictures.

NVQ is all about proving work, most employers will happily give you copies to add to your portfolio.

Any work regardless of temp or perm would count, just keep a log so the assessor can track things down if they feel the urge.

depends on the NVQ provider, I was on one, did one job write up and had a visit on site, then got laid off. now i'm self employed they won't let me continue it as nobody will be there to certify that i'm capable and sign the forms. so i can't continue it unfortunately, bummer as it was completely paid for
i might pay for it myself i'm sure that would work but i can't afford it right now and i don't need it anyway, apparently all you need to be an electrician is the 17th edition exam according to elecsa!

Shame JIB don't see it that way, for the site card they want 2330 and NVQ as a minimum, just lost out on a four month contract because of it.

Thanks for your replies....I see this is a serious issue, I guess, I will have to have a chat with anyone I take this course up with. They really should find a way to help people who have done the work, cause we are living in difficult times.

It's all about self help, no one will do the chasing up for you or recording of jobs especially if you're only a temp worker. As long as you keep up with recording stuff you'll do OK.

you have until the end of july to think about registering to a company who is still doing nvq level 3 for the 2330, i am thinking of going with delta electrics as i dont want to be labelled a trainee electrician on my jib card for life if i dont have the nvq level 3!.

you have until the end of july to think about registering to a company who is still doing nvq level 3 for the 2330, i am thinking of going with delta electrics as i dont want to be labelled a trainee electrician on my jib card for life if i dont have the nvq level 3!.

I live in London anyone know any good providers? I take it when you do the the NVQ 2356, you don't have to do the AM2 please extra unit on the 2357? I have seen Xstraining do it for £550 and you have to create an e-portfoilio.... Any good?k

What happens at the end of July.....??

At end of july you can no longer do the nvq 2356 but only the diploma.

I want to do the NVQ 2356 with xstraining but it says you need 2 years experience in the field....I only have the level 2 & 3, 2330.... I guess that means I can't do it? :(

Looked at delta training they don't ask for that as an entry requirement... can anyone please clear this up for me, so I can know if I am barking up with wrong tree?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just rang up xstrain, they told me I need to do the 2357 cause I haven't got 2 years work experience. Hmmm being 30 will be interesting trying to get an adult apprenticeship....What annoys me is at college the tutors made everything see so easy no explaining, how comeplicted it would be if you
are not 16 :(

Exarmy,

You have been had. There is no reason why just because you are self employed that you can't continue with your NVQ.

NVQ Level 3 has to be completed in the workplace. It doesn't matter what or where the workplace is. It doesn't matter if you are full time employed, part time employed, permanently employed, temporarily employed, or even working on an ad hoc basis. The only impact this will have, is the time it will take you to complete it. If you are full time, permanently employed, you will do it quicker than some one who works on an ad hoc basis.

With regard to collecting evidence for inclusion in your portfolio. You need to do comprehensive write ups of the jobs you do, you need to take photo's if possible, make copies of any paperwork such as certificates you produce, any work permits, isolation permits, lock off permits etc etc. Keep things like installation instructions and so on.

Your NVQ Assessor should also see you on a regular basis to advise you on how to complete the portfolio, he should also do some engineering observations with you as well, and he can also have a professional discussion (which he will record) with you to clear up any grey areas.

Ultimately, once you have completed the NVQ you will sign a declaration to say that it is all your own work. If you do this, and it isnt, then you will look pretty stupid when you get offered a job that requires it, and you haven't got a clue.

Cheers..............Howard

sirkit breaker,
the problem was that to be on the "course" i had to be employed in order for the college to receive funding for me, and without funding i didn't have a JTL number, and without the number I can't progress further.
the assessor was spot on, let me do a write up when i shouldn't have but it was the college that said no i can't carry on untill i get an employer as they can't book me on courses(AM2, key skills etc) and book site visits without the JTL number. I'm gonna have a go to see if i can find a local spark who's willing to give me 2-3 days work (for free) and pretend i work for him "part time employed" just so i can get it done.

hi mickys86 to answer your question What happens at the end of july.....??if you hold the 2330 level qualifications without an nvq level 3 and you do not register with the few training providers that are still out there who will still run it after the 31st july you will not be able to get your nvq level 3 qualification (you must register with a training provider before this date so they can register you with city and guilds) the only way you will be able to get the nvq level 3 after this date would be to sign back up with your local college for 3 years (back to the beginning again), and do the new course 2357 which now incorporates the nvq level along side the old 2330 together the course is going to be known as a diploma course. i have spoken to some lads who are domestic sparks and they arent too bothered about taking the nvq level its more useful if you are going to require a jib card for site work. i am going to join up with Delta Electrical Training Limited tel 01254 240233 this is there website www.deltaelectricaltraining.co.uk if anybody is reading this who holds there 2330 and doesnt have their nvq level 3 you need to seriously think about the cost implications later on in life not just having to go back to college for 3 years again but at the moment the course just to take your nvq level 3 is about £495 exc vat , the cost of the new diploma 2357 will cost you around £4000!!!only 2 weeks to go before the cut off date ends speak to somebody or at least register (£250 deposit roughly to register with the training agency you go to) but you will have until 2015 to complete it. hope what i have said has clarified any questions or thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
also if you know anybody who has there 2330 qualification please let them know about what is happening as i have been surprised as to how many sparks out there are not aware of what is happening and the consequences it has with them without having there nvq level 3

There will also be a requirement for the NVQ 3 as a minimum for the any new Qualified Supervisors as from 2013. This link highlights the changes Electrotechnical Assessment Specification - EAS - IET Electrical .

XS Training are probably the cheapest in the UK at the moment and charge from £550 and offer monthly payments too.

Reply to How to start/finish NVQ need advice please! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net