Discuss How to turn off power outside the house? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello I have a 200 amp service that I want to turn off to install a mini split that’s located outdoors. What would be the correct steps to do this??

Indoors I know all I’d have to do is pull down the 200 amp breaker. Is it the same as outdoor or do I have to turn it off by the meter?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 25
Hello I have a 200 amp service that I want to turn off to install a mini split that’s located outdoors. What would be the correct steps to do this??

Indoors I know all I’d have to do is pull down the 200 amp breaker. Is it the same as outdoor or do I have to turn it off by the meter?
Stevey you have to turn off the 200 amp main in the panel that’s in the picture which will disconnect all power except the top of the 200 amp main breaker. If your asking that question I don’t think you need to be doing that work. Please hire an electrician and be careful

Stevey you have to turn off the 200 amp main in the panel that’s in the picture which will disconnect all power except the top of the 200 amp main breaker. If your asking that question I don’t think you need to be doing that work. Please hire an electrician and be careful
Stevey never cut the seal on the meter and pull it out you could get in ALOT of trouble for tampering with the power company’s meter. It’s a smart meter and they will know when you pull it out. First thing you have to have is a permit to mess with that meter and call the power company if you cut that seal. They will cut your power off and charge you huge fines if you don’t go by the rules. Also you have to be a licensed electrician for that

I don't know if it is just the picture or if someone needs to invest in a spirit level.

nothing looks straight and square.

p.s. I fully agree with @Megawatt , if you don't fully understand the methods of isolating supply and testing for dead before working on a circuit, you may well end up dead yourself.

Reply to How to turn off power outside the house? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net