Discuss How to use 2 black, 2 white and earth tag in light fixture in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rorytymon

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have just bought some brass light fixtures and upon delivery found there to be 2 white, 2 black and one earth tag (I think it's called) which is separate from the fixture itself.

Looking online I've not really found much regarding installing such devices into the EU style outlets.

Firstly, how do I attach this earth tag? What end goes where and are they reliable? I don't want to die, obviously.

Secondly, can someone just please clarify:
A - which out of the black and white is Live and Neutral and;
B - can 2 white/black be joined onto 1 live/neutral and if so how is the safest way to do so.

Many thanks in advance for your responses and please be really dumb with your reply as I have only just bought my first house so learning all this stuff as I go.

Thank,

Rory

How to use 2 black, 2 white and earth tag in light fixture IMG_20210819_191700_HDR - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• How to use 2 black, 2 white and earth tag in light fixture IMG_20210819_191720_HDR - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210819_191720_HDR.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 15
  • How to use 2 black, 2 white and earth tag in light fixture IMG_20210819_191740_HDR - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210819_191740_HDR.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 14
  • How to use 2 black, 2 white and earth tag in light fixture IMG_20210819_191744_HDR - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210819_191744_HDR.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 13
Take it back and ask the manufacturer to finish it before selling.

looks like the earth tag washer goes on the screwed part where the wires come out, but that means unscrewing the nut and possibly washers etc.

what does the instructions say about the black/white?usually they are pretty obvious in what gets connected where….
(unlike another recent thread where the fitting was marked + and - as well as L and N)

Take it back and ask the manufacturer to finish it before selling.

looks like the earth tag washer goes on the screwed part where the wires come out, but that means unscrewing the nut and possibly washers etc.

what does the instructions say about the black/white?usually they are pretty obvious in what gets connected where….
(unlike another recent thread where the fitting was marked + and - as well as L and N)

Hi there thanks for the reply I thought the earth tag would work that way. Presumably it the washers would need taking out so the wire is in contact with the casing itself?

In response to the instructions, well as rediculous as it sounds there weren't any. Shipped from China with nothing but what I've shown you and the brackets.

Are the lamps supplied? I can’t tell, but look like regular GU10, if that’s the case, then it won’t matter which colour is live and which is neutral.

screw in lamps are polarity dependant. Centre pin has to be live, as it’s relatively easy to touch the outer screw part, so you don’t want that to be live.

so, as a suggestion… the two whites to live, which will be brown in your wall… or red if older house, and black to blue, or um black…

if possible, can you photograph the CE mark if there is one….
The problem with a lot of Chinese exports we’ve found is all round quality, badly made…and occasionally downright dangerous.

ES lampholders if correctly manufactured, that has to be taken with a pinch of sushi are no longer polarity biased.

Are the lamps supplied? I can’t tell, but look like regular GU10, if that’s the case, then it won’t matter which colour is live and which is neutral.

screw in lamps are polarity dependant. Centre pin has to be live, as it’s relatively easy to touch the outer screw part, so you don’t want that to be live.

so, as a suggestion… the two whites to live, which will be brown in your wall… or red if older house, and black to blue, or um black…

if possible, can you photograph the CE mark if there is one….
The problem with a lot of Chinese exports we’ve found is all round quality, badly made…and occasionally downright dangerous.
Yeah that's not surprising to know that China are producing rubbish ?

Sorry for my ignorance however I don't understand what I meant by supplied? Just to clarify this is a light fixture not a lamp, I just saw I wasn't clear in the original post.

Again, I cannot see a CE mark anywhere, where would it be found?

These should not be sold in the UK. They might be entirely satisfactory or they might be dangerous; without approvals, instructions and traceability you'll never know.

Black and white are used in the USA and other places with USA-derived systems. Black is line and white is neutral. Check the voltage rating of any lamps supplied with it in case they also sent USA-flavour 120V lamps.

The wiring can be easily connected with 3-way Wago lever terminals, 221's or 222's. The wiring and Wagos must be enlcosed and fixed, not left flapping about in the wall.

Reply to How to use 2 black, 2 white and earth tag in light fixture in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock