Discuss How to use a horstmann economy 7 quartz water heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ctoolbox1

DIY
Reaction score
Ive recently moved in to a rented property and am unhappy with how high the bills are. Im trying to figure out why - the property is a two-bedroomed flat, two people occupying, everything is electric, storage heaters and horstmann economy 7 quartz water heater. I'm sure we're using the storage heaters correctly because ive used them before, but im not sure about the water heater. the water heater is switched to 'timed', and the time is set correctly, and to wintertime, which is correct. But is it left on or should I switch it off at the wall during the day like I do with the storage heaters?

You shouldn’t have to turn the storage heaters off at the wall during the day. If you have the proper E7 set up, the storage heater supply fuseboard is timed to only come on during the night.
Can you post a photograph of your meter, fuseboard(s) etc. And as suggested, your hot water tank to see if there’s one or two immersions fitted.

have you set the on/off times to XX hours between midnight and 7.00 a.m.?

And are you being charged 2 different rates on your electricity bill?
My latest bill says I've used £25.23 at the day rate, and £115.22 at the night rate in a month!
[automerge]1580322687[/automerge]
have you set the on/off times to XX hours between midnight and 7.00 a.m.?
I don't know how to do that. I found the heating fuse box, there's kind of a lid that doesn't open easily, maybe unscrew it? Sorry i appreciate its difficult when you can't see what i'm on about.

The Horstman timer should be set to GMT and have the off time just before your period of low rate electricity ends, the on time should be some three hours before the off time, This means you start the day with a full tank of hot water paid for at the low rate. If you need further hot water you press the boost button on the Horstman controller, this will heat the tank up then reset when the water is hot, but this is at the day rate so will be more expensive.

My latest bill says I've used £25.23 at the day rate, and £115.22 at the night rate in a month!
[automerge]1580322687[/automerge]
I don't know how to do that. I found the heating fuse box, there's kind of a lid that doesn't open easily, maybe unscrew it? Sorry i appreciate its difficult when you can't see what i'm on about.
open the flap on the horstmann. below the LCD display you will see buttons to set the on and off times. set the correct time first then set the on and off times. i recommend On at 1.00am and Off at 6.00amincase you forget the BST change.

open the flap on the horstmann. below the LCD display you will see buttons to set the on and off times. set the correct time first then set the on and off times. i recommend On at 1.00am and Off at 6.00amincase you forget the BST change.
There's no flap or LCD display on the actual water heater, it's literally just a big cylinder with pipes coming out of it, two of which are attached to the timer. I took the lid off the fuse box inside the flat, with 'off-peak heating' written on it - it looks old, 6 fuses - 5 dark brown plugged in to blue sockets and the 6th one is an empty white socket. The other fuse box has no labels on it, so don't know what switches off what, nervous about most things let alone electrics. Outside the flat, are the meters - one for normal, one for off peak. We are in a building with two other flats and a shop downstairs. What concerns me is a neighbour moved out shortly before we moved in, and they moved out apparently because their bills were too high, then shortly after THAT, landlord had their storage heaters replaced ... I can't see their meters in the cupboard, only ours and the other neighbour, i think they're old too, then there's some sort of digital meter in the middle of it all, with a long number and 'rate 2.'

Reply to How to use a horstmann economy 7 quartz water heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net