Discuss How to wire this light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Niel686

DIY
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this switch how to wire it up have attached original fitting wiring

thanks

Attachments

• DFABDC3C-36FA-4984-B2AE-DB427C9EBCA0.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 5F00338D-81B4-4BD8-AE7E-CDC053F9B6E5.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 51F5C002-0C8E-4526-8FFB-373B4538FB2A.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 29
The original is a fuse connection unit the new one is a light switch, they are not interchangeable.

The original is a fuse connection unit the new one is a light switch, they are not interchangeable.
Hi should of explained better in first post the old connection switch has been used for years as an on off switch for outside security light with no probs just done up the kitchen and wanted a better looking switch hence the new one just need to know can it be wired up to do the same job thanks

It appears as though the original switch is supplied in 2.5mm cable, possibly coming from the socket circuit rather than lighting.

If this was the case, it would still need a fuse before going to the outside light and reducing the wire size to 1.5mm as it appears to do.

So, no. If I’m right in my guesswork.. you can’t just replace the switch/ fuse with a normal light switch.

The terminals on the new switch, just for information…

Com…. Common. This would be the supply.
1way…. To be used as a single switch
2way…. Used in conjunction with 1way for 2 way switching. (1 light controlled by 2 switches).
Loop…. Just a dummy terminal. Has no connection to the workings of the switch at all. Could put a neutral joint safely there.

The original must have been tight in that 25mm box. Why do people use them instead of 35mm (and fail to bend bock the unused top and bottom lugs)?

The original must have been tight in that 25mm box. Why do people use them instead of 35mm (and fail to bend bock the unused top and bottom lugs)?
They did bend the bottom lug. The photo is looking down. Terminals on top of old switch.

Reply to How to wire this light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net