• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss how will the JIB grade me? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ExArmy

-
Reaction score
heres the list of quals i have:

· [FONT=&quot]City&Guilds 2391-10 Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]City&Guilds 2382-10 17th Edition Wiring Regulations[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]City&Guilds 2377-11 Management of Electrical Equipment Maintenance[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]City&Guilds 2377-12 Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]City&Guilds 2330-L3 Certificate in Electrotechnical Technology[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]City&Guilds 2330-L2 Certificate in Electrotechnical Technology[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]City&Guilds 2149-03 Engineering Systems Maintenance part 3 [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]City&Guilds 2149-02 Engineering Systems Maintenance part 2[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]City&Guilds 2019-01 Basic Engineering Competences(Electrical Engineering)[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]EAL Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers incorporating Part P [/FONT]

from looking at the grading system i'm thinking all i'll get is labourer! seems unlikely I can get electrical improver.... what are youre thoughts on this please

Looks like senior graded electrical trainee because you have level 3 2330, although you have 2391 and 17th edition from the list it doesn't look like you have 2356 NVQ Level 3 which is what would grade you as electrician by the JIB.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

senior graded electrical trainee eh? i never new such a grade existed. from the website all i can see is Approved Electrician, Electrician and Electrical Improver.
main reason i want a card is i'm applying for mate jobs soon so i can do the NVQ L3 and having a card will help get a job, so i suppose the grade doesn't really matter, but i'd rather it say electrical trainee than "labourer". but from looking at the criteria for electrical improver and i don't meet points 1 and 2 so god knows what will happen when I apply?
I did my ECS health and safety in Jan 2010 too so i figure applying for a card before jan 2012 will work out cheaper . also how much is it to join the JIB?

about 30 quid i think, you won`t find out your grade until you apply mate. they are cagey about giving any clues out about gradings before you send the cheque. a mate of mine had his 2330 l2 and his 16th and he got the adult trainee with just them two without the level 3.

You will definitely get senior graded electrical trainee as I stated before as you have level 3 2330 with no nvq. In todays climate it doesn't really matter what grade you are unless you are distinctly electrician or below because if you work for an agency you will get paid one or the other which is still less than your grade. You will only get paid the actual JIB grade if your company is within the JIB of which costs the companys for each employee they have and a lot of firms are coming out of the JIB.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Senior graded trainee....its a sham mate. But the NVQ 3 AND LEVEL 3 2330 gets you an electricians card....Work that out

You've missed the whole point about EXPERIENCE!!! When you complete an electrical apprenticeship then you attain EXPERIENCE as part of the over all training programme as agreed by the JIB/SJIB and has been tried and tested for 100 years now, even before they were brought into being!!! I've said before, just by going to training providers, you can exam cram and pass as many and as varied quals. in the world as you like, but without a proven history of hands on experience, you might as well wipe your %ss with the paper they're written on!!!

You could also have lots of experience but without proving that you do, its also useless.

Correct, they offered me a provisional electricians card if I got a letter from god saying I had certain experience!

I mean I could have quite easily have asked my boss to write that I had 4 years experience when infact at the time I'd only had 3!

Its beside the point really, I know people with 15+ years of experience who would need to take a 2356 just to be called an electrician by the JIB. I know what there reaction would be to that. IMO if you really want JIB grading then obviously take the 2356.
You dont need 2356 to become a registered part pee electrician. Silly really.

its beside the point really, i know people with 15+ years of experience who would need to take a 2356 just to be called an electrician by the jib. I know what there reaction would be to that. Imo if you really want jib grading then obviously take the 2356.
You dont need 2356 to become a registered part pee electrician. Silly really.

part p is a complete and utter waste of this industries time but a qualified spark with 15 years of experience isn't a spark if he has no quals! You must have achieved the relevent criteria regarding quals. And a proven track record of experience to call yourself an electrician! You need both it's as simple as that.

Hes definitely an 'electrician' with plenty of quals, a successful one at that. Its up to the individual, hes never needed it for anyone to call him an electrician. I have worked with several people who are JIB sparks and my oh my do results vary, suspect is an understatement, yet that card says hes an 'electrician'.

So out of the 100 000 or so JIB/SJIB registered electricians you get a few bad eggs, so what are we saying here? that there doesn't need to be a regulatory body accountable to the electricians and the member companies? just profit making certifying bods and fast track training providers and the industry can look after itself?

So out of the 100 000 or so JIB/SJIB registered electricians you get a few bad eggs, so what are we saying here? that there doesn't need to be a regulatory body accountable to the electricians and the member companies? just profit making certifying bods and fast track training providers and the industry can look after itself?

My problem with you and alot of others is you think taht if you aren't JIB you aren't a proper spark. An NVQ3 qualification doesn't make you a fecking spark!

My point is you can't just use 2356 as the qualification to say 100% that you are a spark and denie others such recognition because they don't have it. I was just trying to make a point that some of the clowns I have seen with the 2356 can claim they are 'electricians', when infact they are far from. Saying that I am saying there should be no regulatory body is pulling #/.p out of thin air. As stated before, IF, you really want it, you do have to take the 2356 unless you can prove experience another way.

Reply to how will the JIB grade me? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back