Discuss How would you describe the dangers, when they say it all works in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I'm currently completing evening classes at my local college to get my level 2, recently I have been taking a look at the consumer's unit of friends, family (this sounds really sad as I'm typing it) just to gain some more experience of the various types, intake, earthing arrangements etc. Stuff that I don't see in college basically. Well today I saw this at my uncles, who recently had an extension done. That rcbo that is second from the left, is feeding an oven, a microwave, 2 sockets and about 20 recessed lights in the kitchen.

I need some help in explaining why this is dangerous to someone that replys "but it works perfectly"

How would you describe the dangers, when they say it all works IMG_20181110_125648 - EletriciansForums.net

How would you describe the dangers, when they say it all works IMG_20181110_125659 - EletriciansForums.net

Well for starters the CU is a right mess, is that blue conductor connected to the Live terminal? you say it's feeding a oven, microwave and some lights, that's bad circuit design, what size is the cable feeding this lot?

Right now, the only cover that it has is the door of the cupboard that it is in, I'm assured that the cover is around somewhere and will be fitted as soon as o_O I did check the oven isolator plate, after switching off main switch, and the wires were in the correct terminals there. I'm not clued up enough to to explain the dangers of the wires being in the incorrect terminals of the rcbo

One worrying thought is 'what else has been wrongly connected'?

There are so many learning points which are going to come out of this for you. How is most functional switching done? How do most/all(?) new socket outlets switch L and N - what order do the contacts make/break and why? What is the potential of the incoming N with respect to terra firma? What happens if the fuse blows in a plug connected to a socket with L and N reversed?

I always explain that getting things to work is very easy , getting stuff to fail elegantly and pose no danger to people or the building is the hard bit. Most sites use ADS to make an installation safe under fault conditions but the installation has to be designed, installed and tested to make sure it does in fact fail nicely, otherwise its really really bad... lol

Optimus these for example:

Re Davesparks #9 - Presumably that circuit is a submain?

Re Plugsandspeaks #13 - Most sites use ADS to make an installation safe under fault conditions

Don’t forget the mixing of manufacturers breakers voids the warranty, whoever fitted them becomes responsible for designing the consumer unit and it can no longer be rated at 16kA as a whole unit because it hasn’t been tested to comply. Naughty Naughty! Another pleb purporting to be an Electrician me thinks or just a cowboy.

The second of the two 32A RCBOS on the right bank shows possible early signs of getting hot. Check the connections to be on the safe side. After the main switch is off obviously.

Reply to How would you describe the dangers, when they say it all works in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock