Discuss HVAC / MHRC - connection to more than one circuit = RCD problems? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I've just been told about the intentions for how a mechanical heat recovery unit is wanted to work in a new build house and I can forsee a problem:

One unit doing all the various suck and blow things that they do, but with a 'boost' function that is triggered by the lighting switching. I've got bathrooms / WC's on both floors so hence two lighting circuits, and the unit on a different circuit again. So that means that I've got two different L's switching another circuit, loss of the relevant neutrals, so it's going to trip the RCD's everytime (by my reckoning).

Anyone got any experience with this?

I could always put all the bathrooms on the same circuit as the unit I suppose, but it's a massive amount of extra wiring to consider in a house where every last inch counts on the long runs.

Hi,
Is it not possible to use a contactor/s or relay/s to Isolate the switching side, and then use the existing LF for the heat recovery bit ?

Hi,
Is it not possible to use a contactor/s or relay/s to Isolate the switching side, and then use the existing LF for the heat recovery bit ?

I've wondered the same thing. I'd need a contactor with two separate coils independantly operating the same set of N/O contacts. Suggestions anyone?

I'd need a contactor with two separate coils independantly operating the same set of N/O contacts. Suggestions anyone?

No you won't, what you would need is two contactors with the contacts paralleled and the coils seperate

Last edited:
In effect that's doing the same job by same method just in two units not one, but thanks for that, it's helped set my thoughts.

In effect that's doing the same job by same method

In effect yes, I have not come across Twin coil contactors yet, do they even exist ?, but you may be able to get them ???

It would probably cheaper and easier to use two off the shelf items though

Last edited:
They do exist but not for this job. Dual coil relays are usually latching, so of no use here.

Two contactors will do the job and you can pick them up off the shelf. Remember to label the panel with the origin of each supply.

Still do two lighting circuits one to all the wet rooms and kitchen and one to others then make the last point on the circuit the mvhr unit simples

They only draw a small load so not a problem on the lighting circuit.

Just double pole switch the rooms using one side for the rooms light and the other side for the boost to the mvhr

So basically wire a three core round to all sws and up to the mvhr

Still do two lighting circuits one to all the wet rooms and kitchen and one to others then make the last point on the circuit the mvhr unit simples

They only draw a small load so not a problem on the lighting circuit.

Just double pole switch the rooms using one side for the rooms light and the other side for the boost to the mvhr

So basically wire a three core round to all sws and up to the mvhr

If 2 pole lighting switch plates exist, in 2 & 3 way versions, then I've certainly not seen them! Imagine the amount of cabling in the back of one. But electrically speaking that would also work, and be much simpler.

Rock, you can get them in grid format. But I think hasel should take a reality check, loads of wiring where two relays does the job.

I'm in complete agreement! An intermediate switch in a 2p format would have 8 terminations + cpc.....crazy way of working. I'm trying to get rid of cable on this design, not add to it!!

My brain hurts just thinking about it, to hell with trying to do it in practice.

Reply to HVAC / MHRC - connection to more than one circuit = RCD problems? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock