Discuss Hyundai PV Panel Array - RISO test help in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Graddie

I have two 8 panel strings laid flat on a flat roof connected to a Power One inverter. One of the strings is showing a RISO of 0.5 mohm or less. The cables and connectors are all dry and intact, so I think is is a faulty panel. The voltage test doesn't identify the actual panel.

If I take off and disconnect each panel, what is the easiest way of testing each for leakage?

It is in a windy coastal salty environment.

Thanks for any help.

I agree with SolarCity, but to answer your question you are looking for leakage to earth, so I would first test in situ:
- Unplug the dodgy string from the inverter.
- split the dodgy x8 string into two x4 strings then test between each string and earth.
- That will have narrowed it down to x4 panels.
- then split the dodgy x4 string into two x2 strings and test each string.
- That will have narrowed it down to two etc etc

As long as you have access it should not be difficult or time consuming

Thanks to both above for replies. Very helpful. And surprise, surprise, we eventually found a broken connector, which was also very corroded! The next few days will confirm whether this has fixed the problem.

Some really handy advice there, not just for Power One inverters. The test to determine the location of the fault should save a lot of time.

Good article - just what we've been doing for three years, when we had one iso fault on a single string on an SMA tripower, not had a fault since (learnt our lessons :) )

Reply to Hyundai PV Panel Array - RISO test help in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock