Discuss I always thought heat pumps were expensive waste of time in the Green Energy Forums | Green Energy Hub area at ElectriciansForums.net

Zerax

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm still utterly bemused as to why the people that have a platform (Roger Bisby for example) do not have a rant about the woefully low level of building standards in the UK. If all new housing that was built in say the the last 10 years was built with proper insulation, with either heat pumps in mind, or actually installed with them... we'd already have 1.4 million suitable houses and be significantly further ahead than we are now.

Instead, even TODAY we're still building hundreds of thousands of houses with sub-standard insulation and gas boilers !!

PEG

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm still utterly bemused as to why the people that have a platform (Roger Bisby for example) do not have a rant about the woefully low level of building standards in the UK. If all new housing that was built in say the the last 10 years was built with proper insulation, with either heat pumps in mind, or actually installed with them... we'd already have 1.4 million suitable houses and be significantly further ahead than we are now.

Instead, even TODAY we're still building hundreds of thousands of houses with sub-standard insulation and gas boilers !!

You are correct,regarding the building standards....i still meet brickies,joiners and ground workers,who have no idea that the building standards listed on the average plans,are the minimum standard.

Not the best,or recommended,or even the most applicable...but just the least they expect.

I have been there at the construction,and also the demolition,of hundreds of local authority standard "full-fill cavity insulation" walls,to see the reason why it's a ridiculous idea.

To be fair to Mr.Bisby,i have watched several of his videos,where he bemoans the minimum standards of the regs,and although he is aware of what type of construction methods,give superior insulation,realises that the decision lies with the customer,and we all know the down side of giving the great British public,the whip-hand?

Reaction score
Ive been involved in a few projects involving these systems, and ill be frank ive seen nothing thats remotely convinced me they are an answer. Many properties just will not be suitable period - & thats before we talk about the Massive cost difference. Ive also been involved with a massive house in the cotswolds, where this chap dedicated a whole field to have piping installed and use a ground source heat pump as supplementary heating to the main gas boiler, it was nothing but trouble, niggles and headaches and very unreliable.

Reply to I always thought heat pumps were expensive waste of time in the Green Energy Forums | Green Energy Hub area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

E
This might be long so feel free to grab a brew. So, as some of you may know, i'm a 34 year old who has been dying to get into the industry. I have fought for years to get someone to take me on and have been unsuccessful despite having a background in construction (I can basically build a whole...
Replies
Views
Electrics
E
T
So if you fit a new consumer unit for a landlord you need to supply an EICR as that's the only thing the letting agent understands/accepts - technically though you should do an installation cert too, as that forms the customers proof you did the work and guarantee, and would be a scheme...
Replies
Views
NDG Elecs
NDG Elecs
I
Hi, I think I need to state that I'm a DIYer? I have A-level physics and tinker with vintage audio gear but I'm no professional electrician. Looking for advice with my floorstanding dimmable lamp. It's roughly 30 years old. It has two bulbs, an adjustable reading light that is working fine, but...
Replies
Views
Ilovelamp
I
M
  • Question
Background is we are selling our house and moving out of state. I've been fixing big and little things and painting for several months now, as well as purging possessions and packing. House was built in 1961/1962 and has mostly old two conductor cable supplying everything. I might add that the...
Replies
Views
mytoiletsclogged
M
timhoward
I wonder if anyone has some good stories of really easy call-outs made a lot more difficult by the customer's rather fixed views. Here is my starter for ten: A call out for a MCB for ring final circuit tripping. Customer had serious attitude, absolutely convinced it was the kettle causing it...
Replies
Views
Intoelectrics
I

Electrical News from Electricians Forums and Friends

E
  • Article
Want to become a qualified electrician? Look carefully at the training courses on offer to avoid wasting time and money, is the advice in a new campaign from electrical industry body The Electrotechnical Skills Partnership (TESP). With thousands of searches each year on terms such as...
Replies
Views
Marty92
Dan
  • Article
You can now link your account with social media by going to the following page. https://www.electriciansforums.net/account/connected-accounts/ We had this feature some time ago but I removed it when Facebook was found to be selling the data they collected without informing the users of what...
Replies
Views
Dan
Dan
  • Article
There was a dodgy advert, typical clickbait, showing "how to save 90% on your electricity bill" which was not the case and it was actually showing some dangerous wiring tactics. Read the actual threads here:- What should be the code for this - C2 or C3 -...
Replies
Views
Jurassic Sparks
Jurassic Sparks
James
  • Article
The Go Plus hot tub is being recalled because you could get electrocuted taking a dip, according to press releases from the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI). An Amazon spokesperson said: "Safety is a top priority at Amazon. "We require all products offered in our store to comply...
Replies
Views
Dave Appleby
D
Dan
  • Article
Posted on behalf of @CKI:C.K-Tools Carl Kammerling International Ltd, also known to as ‘CKI’, are the company behind the C.K Tools brand. Founded in Germany in 1904 and with roots stretching back to 1790, we provide a wide range of hand tools, tool storage, power tool accessories and...
Replies
Views
telectrix
telectrix

Search Forum