Discuss I am a qualified electrician working in Scotland. 27 years old, how easy is it to come to Australia and start working as an electrician? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there my name is david. I am a qualified electrician working in scotland. Up to date and got my 18th edition regulations qualification also. I work in domestic. Done house bashing 1st fix and 2nd fix for years and now mainly do contracts new kitchens. bathrooms and maintenance. How easy is it to come to Australia/canada or New Zealand to start working as an electrician. Thank you!

I believe pretty much where ever you go you will have to start as an improver..
You will almost certainly have to sit their electrical Regs exams to be considered an electrician

You have to make and application and go through an approval process, it is easier if you can get a sponsor from your destination country.
I don't know so much about Canada but for Australia the process is around 2 years from application to actually moving.

Hey David, Might be worth looking at the Skills lists mate. Pretty sure the government has taken most trades off it, due to the repercussions of COVID 19. Construction is Now down by 60%.
Also to be able to be invited to apply for a skilled migration visa you must have served a 4 year apprenticeship. No less. A lot of people fall short on that one silly requirement.
Once you can provide proof of those you will go through the Vetesses Route which means you’ll do their version of the AM2 (Capstone) in a centre over in the UK. That enables you to apply for a restricted licence in Aus. Then you’ll have to work as a TA for a year and complete a logbook to become fully licensed as well as completing there wiring standards the AS/NZ3000.

amongst that the Visa process is long winded about 18 months to 24 months for completion, plus you got to do an IELTS English test And the visa costs around 5000 pounds.

if I knew what I did today about the hoops I’ve had to jump through I wouldn’t have bothered TBH.

A good read is books by Jeffery Hampson these are good even if your not going to work in Aus but they also give you an idea of Aus Regs.

And I think they use Hand Benders for conduit sometimes even on RIGID conduit like we use in the U.K.

Electrotechnology Practice - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0lnYDwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:"Jeffery+Hampson"&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjk-qLW7qvpAhULAcAKHWO8AcgQ6AEwAnoECAEQAQ#v=onepage&q=conduit&f=false

Last edited:
A good read is books by Jeffery Hampson these are good even if your not going to work in Aus but they also give you an idea of Aus Regs.

And I think they use Hand Benders for conduit sometimes even on RIGID conduit like we use in the U.K.

Electrotechnology Practice - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0lnYDwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:"Jeffery+Hampson"&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjk-qLW7qvpAhULAcAKHWO8AcgQ6AEwAnoECAEQAQ#v=onepage&q=conduit&f=false

never used hand benders for steel conduit. Always Hilmore benders

Mark, Most I’d say 95% of things here are metric. The 10 mine sites that I worked on used Hilmore benders from the UK. The conduit was to Aus standard but was exactly the same as BS. TBH if I gave you a copy of their regs it would be very similar to our 16th Edition. Phase colours here used to be the same as UK. There are really only minor differences the way things are done Here.

If you want to try it out without committing to visas go out on a working holiday visa and get a job as a trade assistant (TA). That’s how I first started and I ended up being out there for nearly 6 years. I did sort out my electrical licence in that 6 years but was earning the same as the other guys before I got it.

I've just started playing with some hand benders, I quite like them. Certainly faster for making measured sets as the marking calculations are on the handle and the various bending and starting positions are marked on the former. I'll post some photos when the image upload is working again. They are easier to make 2 90 degree bends that are 90 degrees from one another on your own, as its easier to hold the conduit without it twisting in your hand when mounted in a bending machine. Not useful for bending very short pieces though.

I've just started playing with some hand benders, I quite like them. Certainly faster for making measured sets as the marking calculations are on the handle and the various bending and starting positions are marked on the former. I'll post some photos when the image upload is working again. They are easier to make 2 90 degree bends that are 90 degrees from one another on your own, as its easier to hold the conduit without it twisting in your hand when mounted in a bending machine. Not useful for bending very short pieces though.
Brilliant:thumbsup: Look forward to seeing that.

Hey David, Might be worth looking at the Skills lists mate. Pretty sure the government has taken most trades off it, due to the repercussions of COVID 19. Construction is Now down by 60%.
Also to be able to be invited to apply for a skilled migration visa you must have served a 4 year apprenticeship. No less. A lot of people fall short on that one silly requirement.
Once you can provide proof of those you will go through the Vetesses Route which means you’ll do their version of the AM2 (Capstone) in a centre over in the UK. That enables you to apply for a restricted licence in Aus. Then you’ll have to work as a TA for a year and complete a logbook to become fully licensed as well as completing there wiring standards the AS/NZ3000.

amongst that the Visa process is long winded about 18 months to 24 months for completion, plus you got to do an IELTS English test And the visa costs around 5000 pounds.

if I knew what I did today about the hoops I’ve had to jump through I wouldn’t have bothered TBH.
Hi Kenny I appreciate the in depth answer to the question! Answers alot of questions I had. I will be defo taking the advice and maybe go down another avenue. Thanks again

check out this web site it will have links to all the info you need.

ESO is the electrical safety office
Ask them a question
it may take some time to get thru to them, but they are usually very helpful.

Reply to I am a qualified electrician working in Scotland. 27 years old, how easy is it to come to Australia and start working as an electrician? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock