Discuss I apologise for the dangerous advert displayed recently in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I apologise for the dangerous advert displayed recently ef2 - EletriciansForums.net

There was a dodgy advert, typical clickbait, showing "how to save 90% on your electricity bill" which was not the case and it was actually showing some dangerous wiring tactics.

Read the actual threads here:-
What code should it be given
  • C2 for exposed insulation
  • C3 for device not in its enclosure
  • C2 for no earth/CPC
  • C3 for wrong wiring colours
  • C2 for incorrect identification of line conductor
  • C3 for mixture of devices (if there was an enclosure)
  • C2 for no overcurrent protection
  • C3 for no RCD protection

I'd like to apologise for:-
  • Not giving advance notice of me changing the way we display the pay-per-click advertisements
  • Showing the adverts to those who have paid to remove them
  • And for allowing such clickbait to show on the forum
The first point there is a bit fluid, I tend to find resources which help us display such ads differently or give me more control over them and I tend to want to test them out, and alerting you all before I do such things might be a bit premature because by the time all people have read an email linking to a thread, I might have reverted back (and almost always would have done).

The second point there has a similar response. If I configured all usergroups for each change, I'd spend more time messing with usergroups than making the change, only to then need to spend the same time again undoing them as I've not gone ahead with said changes.

But the third point is a toughy.

I can't fix the internet.

Might be a bit harsh but that's the be all and end all of it. Collectively we can click on the X to report the ad. But the ad owner will only change the wording and resubmit it and Google will approve it all. They have a 'let us see the response and if it gets reported enough we will act' kinda policy. If I block the URL in my ad account, they will only add a subdomain and add it again. That costs them nothing. And if their whole domain is blocked (it never would be) they would buy another. £10 max.

They're click bait. The best response I find is to ignore them all. Don't react. And have faith in humanity and hope that people realise that once they click on the ad, it is actually just trying to sell you a thing or give you information contained in pop-ups and tracking cookies and god knows what else.

I'll send out an email to all linking to this, and hope you discuss it for a bit to show newbies what's going on. And that alone can help spread the news of clickbait, and perhaps it's a thread we link to from time to time when newbies are mentioning such things like "I've seen this online and wondered if I can do it" type questions perhaps.

Thanks to all for understanding. And thanks to those who contributed to the threads to alert me to the dodgy ad(s).

View attachment 90612

There was a dodgy advert, typical clickbait, showing "how to save 90% on your electricity bill" which was not the case and it was actually showing some dangerous wiring tactics.

• Not giving advance notice of me changing the way we display the pay-per-click advertisements
The first point there is a bit fluid, I tend to find resources which help us display such ads differently or give me more control over them and I tend to want to test them out, and alerting you all before I do such things might be a bit premature because by the time all people have read an email linking to a thread, I might have reverted back (and almost always would have done).

The second point there has a similar response. If I configured all usergroups for each change, I'd spend more time messing with usergroups than making the change, only to then need to spend the same time again undoing them as I've not gone ahead with said changes.

Might be a bit harsh but that's the be all and end all of it. Collectively we can click on the X to report the ad. But the ad owner will only change the wording and resubmit it and Google will approve it all. They have a 'let us see the response and if it gets reported enough we will act' kinda policy. If I block the URL in my ad account, they will only add a subdomain and add it again. That costs them nothing. And if their whole domain is blocked (it never would be) they would buy another. £10 max.

They're click bait. The best response I find is to ignore them all. Don't react. And have faith in humanity and hope that people realise that once they click on the ad, it is actually just trying to sell you a thing or give you information contained in pop-ups and tracking cookies and god knows what else.

I'll send out an email to all linking to this, and hope you discuss it for a bit to show newbies what's going on. And that alone can help spread the news of clickbait, and perhaps it's a thread we link to from time to time when newbies are mentioning such things like "I've seen this online and wondered if I can do it" type questions perhaps.

Thanks to all for understanding. And thanks to those who contributed to the threads to alert me to the dodgy ad(s).
Over the past few years there has many advertisements for bogus devices to cut your electricity bill, also devices to get free pay TV.

There's no need to apologize for the content of the ad, Dan... Its was just ironic that it be on an electrician forum.

We all know it was a load of tosh.... and its beggers belief that anyone falls for it, but im sure some do.

I don't have a problem with adverts in general - as said previously the forum needs funding.

I am also aware that the regulars on here will know it's both dangerous and a scam, but casual visitors may not.

Given some threads where people have asked, or have some weird ideas about how electricity works, or influences things, I suspect there are going to be some people who fall for this, possibly bolstered by the belief "if it's advertised on a forum like this it must be right!"

I accept scams are difficult to stop, but I also know that just reporting them doesn't work - I see the same on Facebook and YouTube - report them and they are back on the next page refresh!

I don't know the answer unfortunately

View attachment 90612

Nothing to apologise for - you can’t fix or control the content of the internet. I’ve seen this ad several times across different sites and can’t help feeling sorry for those who fall for it!

I hope that by now everyone knows that the Internet is full of crap and that EVEYTHING needs to be examined before purchase. As the financial bulletin boards say, "DYOR" (Do Your Own Research) before buying eg ask someone on this forum if an electrical item looks almost too good to be true! (though I have to admit I have made a couple of small errors with mechanical items in the past!)

Over the past few years there has many advertisements for bogus devices to cut your electricity bill, also devices to get free pay TV.
The dogiest con I saw to save 100 % on electrical was when I was inspecting a council house in Haringey. The guy removed the earth cable and used it to connect between the service fuse and his CCU main switch bypassing the meter completely.
I asked the guy for his account as I
needed the number on my CR. and he gave it to me. After I left I called his provider and described the situation and attached an electrical danger notification to my CR.
You may think I'm a ------- but we pay for the electricity they steal.

Reply to I apologise for the dangerous advert displayed recently in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock