Discuss I bought a house - major electrical problems. Great pics inside, advice appreciated. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

VinceS

Hi All,

So far I've had two electricians tell me the electrics in our house are the worst they've ever seen. The funny thing is, there is a BS5499-1:2002 consumer unit installed.

First the pictures: http://vsamios.co.uk/pics.pdf

Some backstory: We had a homebuyers report done before buying a property which noted the electrics had had "recent upgrading" - presumably because there is a new consumer unit.

We received an electrical certificate for "test newly installed shower circuit" on an NICEIC form with declaration signed with the notes: "ZE = 0.91, maximum ZS reading is too high, no mechanical protection on shower cable in cupboard"

I've checked with NICEIC, ELECSA and the local councils building control, there is absolutely no record of any works being notified.

I suspect the previous owner did the work himself... and he defo wasn't an electrician.

I'm wondering what if any recourse there is on an unqualified person doing electrical work. I'm also wondering if the electrician who "tested the shower circuit" is responsible for not flagging up issues such as rubber cables going into the consumer unit/other major obvious faults in the house.

Any help hugely appreciated and I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Re: I bought a house - major electrical problems. Great pics inside, advice appreciat

agree with the 2 sparks. ... it's a mess. just from the pics, i'd recommend a total rewire. i'm not too far away, and spartykus is in the bottom end of shropshire. we work well together, not throw hammers at each other, be happy to quote you.

Re: I bought a house - major electrical problems. Great pics inside, advice appreciat

As you bought the house it was up to you to have an electrical inspection done before purchasing and then negotiate the full rewire off the asking price. I take it you didn't.

You will get nowhere trying to find blame on anyone who may have fitted, added or altered any electricals in the recent past ... regardless if the work is 1yr or 10yr you bought the house as seen and lack of inspection would be on your shoulders so don't start trying to point the finger here and hoping for something positive because you'll be wasting your time and will achieve more by flogging a dead horse.

Yes its in poor condition, if the tough rubber is still in use then this is already 30+ yrs overdue for a rewire..

Im afraid you are left with a awkward rewire looking at the building design and the responsibility lies on your shoulders.. that is unless the sellers/estate agents has specifically said that the wiring was ok (which i doubt) ..... as so much of this is glaringly obvious even to an untrained eye - what exactly were you doing when you went for a viewing?

That my friend is bad!! Not the worst I have seen surprisingly but very very close!! A mark of a quality spark is a Harock/Chint board!!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I would jump on tells offer for a quote.

:hammer:Thanks mate

From the pics the wiring looks a bit of a mess, put mildly!

My advise to you would be that before you consider doing anything get someone like Tel (or other local spark who knows what he is doing) in to do a EICR for you. This will establish exactly what the condition/state of your electrics are.

Once you've done that you can decide upon the work requirements going forward!

Ouch I agree with all the others who have answered. lots of issues that are bad a complete rewire is called for, sorry for the bad news but jeez

The previous owner should never have had a new consumer unit fitted on that.

Yes that is bad bad bad, but on a lighter note did you by any chance get a new camera for Christmas! 45 photos lol

It certainly looks like it needs rewiring!

I don't think you'd have any come back with the previous owner. The wiring is clearly visible so they have not tried to hide anything.

Looks like a nice old house. I hope the plumbing is in better condition than the wiring. If not, it would be best to get that done as well and get all of the messy work out of the way in one go.

That is bad, haven't seen so many examples of bodged up turd under one roof in a long while!

Teletrix is a cracking plumber as well.

Aye .... just as long as it isn't underflloor heating, but he knows who to ask to hold his hand. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

That is bad, haven't seen so many examples of bodged up turd under one roof in a long while!

You have such a nice way with words.

Were you Grammar School educated by any chance? ;)

From the pics the wiring looks a bit of a mess, put mildly!

My advise to you would be that before you consider doing anything get someone like Tel (or other local spark who knows what he is doing) in to do a EICR for you. This will establish exactly what the condition/state of your electrics are.

Once you've done that you can decide upon the work requirements going forward!

You really think it needs an EICR .. why spend money to be told what we all already know ...nothing to salvage there!

Aye it is just old and needs upgrading, best way is a rewire, how many beds and reception rooms are there fella?

- - - Updated - - -

You really think it needs an EICR .. why spend money to be told what we all already know ...nothing to salvage there!
Why Not, money for old rope lol haha, seriously it is a rewire end of.

You have such a nice way with words.

Were you Grammar School educated by any chance? ;)

it's got a medical term.... geordie gaga.

Posted that twice, your heads going!

I know!

Dunno what happened there, but I spotted it & deleted it, but it's still there!!!

I know!

Dunno what happened there, but I spotted it & deleted it, but it's still there!!!
the site is the issue, it is pants if you try to use it with IE, Just pants, try using Firefox for this site, it actually works then LOL

Reply to I bought a house - major electrical problems. Great pics inside, advice appreciated. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net