Discuss I can not work this neon light out and it's doing my head in!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
View attachment 14447View attachment 14448

Hello all,

I have spent hours looking at this 2 gang, 1 way switch and I can not for the life of me figure out how to get the neon light to come on with BOTH switches! One conductor from the neon has to go into the neutral terminal, the other into L1 on one of the switches, which means the neon only works with that one switch!!!

This is driving me crazy. I realise this has got to be very simple but I've spent so long looking at it now that I'm frazzled :crazy: and I need help.....

Cheers.

IMGP2416.jpgIMGP2415.jpg

Heres the attachments again. It is from an outdoor switch and it looks designed to only take one neon, so as spinlondon says, probably meant to be on all the time?

i would think that the neon is meant to be connected across common and L1 of either 1 switch or the other.. when that switch is off, the neon will see L1 as a N and be lit as a switch finder. or i fyou have a N at the switch, connect across either Common and N and it will be permanently kit.

if he 's anything like me, i see little green men in the dark. trhink it must be my ancestors coming to take me away. (or is that ordinary men in green coats)

i would think that the neon is meant to be connected across common and L1 of either 1 switch or the other.. when that switch is off, the neon will see L1 as a N and be lit as a switch finder. or i fyou have a N at the switch, connect across either Common and N and it will be permanently kit.

Yes, I guess it's supposed to be permantly lit. I cant understand what you mean by connecting across common and L1 though, that would mean the switch is on all the time? I'll just connect it across the N terminal and either common?

We fit the same switches but just one gang. There is argument of whether like above the neon should be permanent or switched. If you look closely at the neon wires one is shorter than the other and this fits nice in the switch a certain way the other way is a ball ache!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

if you connect the neon across common and L1, it will light when the switch is off as it sees the L1 as a N ( no volts on it. ) when you switch the switch on, the neon goes out. MK usede to do one where the switch hasd a clear plastic surruond which lit up green so elderlies could find the switch in the dark.

if you connect the neon across common and L1, it will light when the switch is off as it sees the L1 as a N ( no volts on it. ) when you switch the switch on, the neon goes out. MK usede to do one where the switch hasd a clear plastic surruond which lit up green so elderlies could find the switch in the dark.

I know I'm a bit sad, but I found that very interesting, thanks. I can leave the shed now and go and eat my dinner!!

Fitted loads of these in industry over the years. Yes, they are supposed to be permanently on, unlike the domestic ones we connect to only light up in the off position. If you've ever had to go work a night shift at some of the massive sites out there, where the switch can be some distance from the lighting, you'll know how important these babies are :)

- - - Updated - - -

I still have some of the surrounds in stock :)

Reply to I can not work this neon light out and it's doing my head in!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net