Discuss I don't think this is legal but I will still ask the question. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

blueschill

Ok so picture a bedroom wall, and in the middle, low down there is a single socket on a ring.

someone has asked me if I can fit two double sockets either side of their bed on the same wall.
this will be done in plastic trunking as requested.

question is: from the two ring circuit cables that go into the single socket.
Can I fit two live cables into one side of a chock block and two live neutral cables into one side of a choc block ( so the ring is continued ) and then at the other side of the choc blocks run one T/E cable left into a double socket and one T/E cable right into a double socket and blank the single socket?

Instead of running a cable either side the a third cable straight through to complete the ring.

I am led to believe you cannot run two spurs off one part of the ring but does this count as two spurs or one?

If that doesn't make sense I will re write it. :)

Of course it's 2 spurs mate and is a no no.

Why are you not just keeping the 2 new circuits on the RFC from what you are describing it should be child's play.

I would crimp a new cable onto one of the legs of the ring behind the existing socket, going off to the new sockets and coming back to join the other leg of the ring in the terminals of the original socket. (crimps = maintenance-free connection, and takes a lot less space than choc blocks living behind a socket in a 25/35mm box)

Then you can add as many sockets as you like, as they are all on the ring, and not spurs, and you won't lose the single socket becoming a junction box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either make the 1G socket a FCU and then add as many sockets as you like or do as said above and crimp a new cable on each leg of the ring to each socket then join them both thus the ring is complete

Yes dan this is for real, I am going to wire it in as a ring, but if you look at my subject, or even my new member post you will notice that I thought this was against regulations but were just wondering if it was legal or not as I sed if u read my post properly I sed,
I am led to believe you cannot run two spurs off one part of the ring.

Please don't post if you have nothing constructive to say.

I am a ex military spark that is starting out in the domestic world.

I would crimp a new cable onto one of the legs of the ring behind the existing socket, going off to the new sockets and coming back to join the other leg of the ring in the terminals of the original socket. (crimps = maintenance-free connection, and takes a lot less space than choc blocks living behind a socket in a 25/35mm box)

Then you can add as many sockets as you like, as they are all on the ring, and not spurs, and you won't lose the single socket becoming a junction box.

Ah yes ............ but these cable will be solid cores. Are we allowed to crimp solid cores and if we are should we be using special crimps and crimping tools for solid cored cables?

Maybe we should be using Wagos or similar - or make some nice soldered joints?

Now, where did I leave my tin hat??

:D I knew someone would drag up the crimping solid cores argument again! Hopefully its stranded 4.0mm2 cable so we can use normal crimps without causing the world to stop turning. ;)

Just extend the ring.

Original socket has an incoming and out going leg. Term one to the original skt, loop out to your 2nd skt, then loop to your 3rd skt using the trunking and backbox. Now your out going leg is back at the first skt, just use 3 lever wagos and the job is done apart from testing and a MWC.

it's a plasterers stirrer for small jobs.

Just extend the ring.

Original socket has an incoming and out going leg. Term one to the original skt, loop out to your 2nd skt, then loop to your 3rd skt using the trunking and backbox. Now your out going leg is back at the first skt, just use 3 lever wagos and the job is done apart from testing and a MWC.

Yeah that was the plan I was going to do Paul :)

Ah yes ............ but these cable will be solid cores. Are we allowed to crimp solid cores and if we are should we be using special crimps and crimping tools for solid cored cables?

Maybe we should be using Wagos or similar - or make some nice soldered joints?

Now, where did I leave my tin hat??

Oh no, here we go again!! lol!! Yes!! AND No!!

Reply to I don't think this is legal but I will still ask the question. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock