Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss I got the job! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wade88

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Some of you may have seen me scrabbling for advice last week in regards to a re-wire i was asked to quote for.

Well i got the job! Very pleased. Am now however bricking it.

Start work this friday. If you dont hear from me by the end of next week...fear the worst. :svengo:

25 sockets, 23 downlights, 9 pendants, 6 tv points, 3 fire alarms, 1 cooker, New board tails and bonding, pretty excited.

Wish me luck!

Ben

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
W

wade88

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh and a massive thanks to everyone who helped me to get this job quoted for and all the right questions answered, genuinely couldnt have done it without your input.

Thanks lads

topquark

-
Mentor
Arms
Congratulations!

There's no sign of grey hair on the photo yet, so can't be all bad :D ... Can we have an after photo as well ;)

O

Octopus

Dare we ask (you don't have to answer) what price you went in with?

W

wade88

No i dont mind at all Murdoch, my final quote was £4590 inc mateirlas which have come to around £1000 so far.

My break down was pretty simple, £40 a point, £400 for 12 way CU and bonding etc, £250 for cooker and there were a few other bits but i dont have my estimate in front of me. She said it was a vast improvement on previous quotes and im happy with my walk away profit to be honest, so i guess im happy. Customer is getting a good price and is happy and i can buy my kid some nice xmas presents, so everyones a winner.

Ha oh i have a few grey hairs topquark dont worry about that! thats an old photo from when i was at university and nothing else to worry about but getting the round of beers in, life is a little different these days! no doubt after this next week or so i shall be sporting the silver fox look.

O

Octopus

Good man, if you mates can't help you I'm not far away!!

LOL

S

stan794

Well done mate. Just wish we could get thoses prices around this way lol.

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Congratulations!

Feels good, doesn't it? Now then, make us all proud and report back with a job well done!

Richard Burns

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Wahey, time to panic loads, oh sorry I meant: no problems, go for it.

Well done on getting the job, remember all the advice and I wish you the best of luck with it.

You must report back!!

G

gooner1984

well done mate good luck have fun :hurray:

V

vernam616

I dont understand why your bricking it:confused5:?

Its a domestic rewire, quite a simple enough task, Price is massive too and she said that was the cheapest?

Could get it done for half that price in the north east, i might move down south or maybe even commute i could make a killing by shamming these high prices

How long have you planned to do the job?

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr Mike

Well done. Enjoy going to work !!!!!!!

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I dont understand why your bricking it:confused5:?

Its a domestic rewire, quite a simple enough task, Price is massive too and she said that was the cheapest?

Could get it done for half that price in the north east, i might move down south or maybe even commute i could make a killing by shamming these high prices

How long have you planned to do the job?
I think it's a bit harsh trying to take a pop at the lad when we're all congratulating him - you had a first rewire one time in your life and I bet you had reservations too.

As for prices of rewires, no-one is being ripped off by sham rates down south - people tend to forget it costs us a heck of a lot more to live down here than up north. And there's nowt wrong with a bit o profit. Or did you plan to work for free?

L

londonlec

I predict ten pages of 'I can do it cheaper than you', now! :snore:

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
And so could have Ben if he'd only wanted to charge 1p per hour plus materials at cost from some dubious ebay seller.

'Value' is all reflective on what people are prepared to pay for something, no more, no less, and I would hazard a guess that the client would have dismissed a quote for £1500 as having come from a cowboy (even if not).

Very rarely do any of my domestic rewires come out less than £3k, and normally much more. And I'm flat out at the moment.

O

Octopus

High prices, done it for half?? I reckon that parts could come to £1400 (as long as you don't use cheap shed downlights) and that would leave you about £850 for your time - I don't think so.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
it's a fair price, bit over northern rates, but, hey. if you can get a good price accepted, you can ensure you do a good job and not worry if it runs over a day.

V

vernam616

Sorry if i offended anyone, but its quite a regular occurance for us to carry out a rewire in 1 day/ 1day and half with 2-3 of us

I do remember my first rewire and wasnt nervous, i dont see whats to be nervous about its a payed job, just a little larger than a normal install

to quote 1400 for materials is just robbery, i can only imagine its because of different areas, i might start commuting down south, 2 rewires a week and back home

I can get a standard rewire kit with wylex DB dual split mcbs and all cable for MAX £800-900

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
nobody's yet mentioned how many hours involved moving furniture, etc. this can add considerably to the time taken.

O

Octopus

Hats off to the OP, a reasonable price and a happy customer!

cbw

-
Wade,

Well done, first contract under your belt, I was nervous my first rewire! (Long time ago)

Why dont you employ 616 to do it for you and just stay in bed?

Pay for him and his mates to stay in the local premier inn for 1 night.

Couple of grand profit!

Take that man at his word, I will certainly bear him in mind for my next rewire.

Last edited:
A

alarm man

I think it's a bit harsh trying to take a pop at the lad when we're all congratulating him - you had a first rewire one time in your life and I bet you had reservations too.

As for prices of rewires, no-one is being ripped off by sham rates down south - people tend to forget it costs us a heck of a lot more to live down here than up north. And there's nowt wrong with a bit o profit. Or did you plan to work for free?

i cant see how anyone could take offence at verns post,it was a tongue in cheek remark,and basically saying prices are much cheaper up north..chill people..:wub:

V

vernam616

I often watch rogue traders and do wonder if people like that exist, i now how true that is

Almost £5000 for a rewire is a complete joke, i honestly could do a decent certified job for half that price, and still be happy at the profit, i do beleve in quality, but if you work hard enough you can complete a rewire in a day day&half,

Tenant moves all furniture into middle of room, we have an apprentice chasing out with a machine then cleaning up, and 2 sparks wiring and 2nd fixing

Im seriously considering looking for work down south if you can get away with prices like that, 2 rewires per week and have the rest off work, id be considerbly well off in no amount of time.

No harm in working hard to get a job done is there? some will most probs say the work would be not up to standard, but i would gladly invite anyone to come see a rewire we have completed, lift the boards etc... you wont find a lot wrong at all

V

vernam616

Rewired a rather large bungalow around 10 weeks back, £1700 final price, materials cost around £400, worked 8am-6pm, two electricians and one labourer

Labourer on £100 day rate, £600 each electrician for ONE days work

Job was all plastered up, carpets down, furniture back

A

alarm man

I often watch rogue traders and do wonder if people like that exist, i now how true that is

Almost £5000 for a rewire is a complete joke, i honestly could do a decent certified job for half that price, and still be happy at the profit, i do beleve in quality, but if you work hard enough you can complete a rewire in a day day&half,

Tenant moves all furniture into middle of room, we have an apprentice chasing out with a machine then cleaning up, and 2 sparks wiring and 2nd fixing

Im seriously considering looking for work down south if you can get away with prices like that, 2 rewires per week and have the rest off work, id be considerbly well off in no amount of time.

No harm in working hard to get a job done is there? some will most probs say the work would be not up to standard, but i would gladly invite anyone to come see a rewire we have completed, lift the boards etc... you wont find a lot wrong at all
its doable vern,train down from the central,into london,sleep on the job or a b&b and back,might be worth looking into.me and trev might come too..tho london is way way more expensive than up here,down there you pay 250k for a parking space,we get a big 4 bed detatched up here..id never swap down there for up here...

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
its doable vern,train down from the central,into london,sleep on the job or a b&b and back,might be worth looking into.me and trev might come too..tho london is way way more expensive than up here,down there you pay 250k for a parking space,we get a big 4 bed detatched up here..id never swap down there for up here...
Is that before or after you've travelled to a site survey beforehand, paid your congestion charge, £40+ for a stop in the NCP.....etc. Not spoiling for a scrap, I rarely even work in London, just making a point. All that glistens isn't gold. The place I lived before, my neighbour sold his parking space - for £40k. I'd stay up in the fresh air working hard!

V

vernam616

I would commute in the van, buy all materials cheaper up here, travel down, dig over in nice hotel, could even do 3 in the week then have 4 days off, how many jobs would you accumulate at say for argument sake this OP's job for £4600, i reckon £3500-£4000, customers happy, were happy everyones a winner

Where abouts in north do you live? i dont live too far away from Trev

V

vernam616

Is that before or after you've travelled to a site survey beforehand, paid your congestion charge, £40+ for a stop in the NCP.....etc. Not spoiling for a scrap, I rarely even work in London, just making a point. All that glistens isn't gold. The place I lived before, my neighbour sold his parking space - for £40k. I'd stay up in the fresh air working hard!
When we said london we sort of meant down south in general, i wouldnt like to work in central london at all

Outskirts and surrounding areas definatley

A

alarm man

I would commute in the van, buy all materials cheaper up here, travel down, dig over in nice hotel, could even do 3 in the week then have 4 days off, how many jobs would you accumulate at say for argument sake this OP's job for £4600, i reckon £3500-£4000, customers happy, were happy everyones a winner

Where abouts in north do you live? i dont live too far away from Trev
your right vern.....close to trev too. g'head

Last edited by a moderator:
A

alarm man

i will man,not a fan of stab city..

V

vernam616

Middlesbrough myself, you do much rewiring in gateshead? most of our work is up there i commute everyday, currently in Fenham installing PV

A

alarm man

Middlesbrough myself, you do much rewiring in gateshead? most of our work is up there i commute everyday, currently in Fenham installing PV
im not a house basher vern,i do alarms,which is a bit like electrics but easier with little cables.:sailor:

Wade, good for you, I wish you all the best on your first house rewire by your self.

On another note:- if anyone wants to debate the ins and outs of Wades prices, timescale and profits just start another thread and leave the man alone.

Last week he asked for advice on pricing, he received it and today has said he has the job. Great, stop p1ssing on his bonfire and support a fellow electrician ffs.

Wade, any help or advice that i/we can give you is yours. All you have to do is ask, you will receive. Good luck but at the end of the day you know what your doing so just get on with it regardless of what people think ;).

D

D80

Good luck with it, its a nice big project for a first rewire.

Reply to I got the job! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Aico 3000 Range
Top Bottom