Discuss I have a dedicated circuit for my fridge and freezer on a 32amp breaker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a dedicated circuit for my fridge which is on a 32amp circuit and also runs off a fcu. Is it possible to have the fridge and a separate freezer connected to the double gang socket ? So both appliances are sharing the socket . Thanks !

Is that 32A circuit on RCD protection?

If yes then you could change the FCU for a double socket and plug the two items in.

If no then they have to be hard-wired via a FCU, so you could extend it using 4mm cable to a 2nd FCU for the separate freezer.
[automerge]1590485302[/automerge]
Hi guys, I have a dedicated circuit for my fridge which is on a 32amp circuit and also runs off a fcu.
Just reading what you said again, is the 32A circuit dedicated to your fridge?

Or is the fridge fed off that (possibly a general ring final circuit) as a spur using a FCU to a new socket? It makes a big difference!

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. So the fridge has its own dedicated circuit on a 32a circuit breaker, this is then wired to an fcu which is connected to the fridge socket - this was how the previous owner had the circuit installed. I now need to add a freezer and preferably wanted to add it next to fridge ! Cheers
[automerge]1590486127[/automerge]
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. So the fridge has its own dedicated circuit on a 32a circuit breaker, this is then wired to an fcu which is connected to the fridge socket - this was how the previous owner had the circuit installed. I now need to add a freezer and preferably wanted to add it next to fridge ! Cheers

Sorry, just seen your first message! It’s not RCD protected

Sorry, just seen your first message! It’s not RCD protected
OK, just missed that.

It makes a difference as the regulations require RCDs on socket outlets to 32A (I think, would have to look up the details) and those with cable not at least 50mm behind walls in case of someone nailing them, etc.

But a spurious trip of the RCD is a big deal for stored food so it is a bit more reliable without RCD, however, to do so you need to hard-wire the appliance in, for example via a FCU.

Depending on the age of the installation that reg may not have applied at the time, or maybe it did and the owner added a socket to the FCU instead of cutting the plug to hard-wire it, etc.

But for me you really ought to have them both hard-wired to separate FCU. Also check the cable size, if it is 2.5mm or 4mm you are fine for 2 * 13A FCUs, but if it were on 1.5mm and the 32A breaker was only for short protection (as 13A fuse for overload) then its not OK to add a 2nd FCU.

Okay thank you very much for your help. 2.5 twin and earth has been used. So would I be right in saying from the advice you have given that I should be fine to add an fcu after the fridge outlet and then add in another socket off that fcu? Thanks

There are a few things you should check before changing it:
  • While you are looking at 2 * 13A FCU the fridge/freezers are fairly fixed loads so nothing like 26A total, but check and see what they are.
  • Using 32A to feed 2.5mm is only OK if the load is limited to the cable's rating, so you need to look at the cable route as far as possible to see if it is OK for the total load. It probably is, unless it is in thick thermal insulation or a hot region, as 'method B' for in wall or trunking says 23A, but 'method A' is down to 18.5A
  • What is the Zs value at the current FCU? You need to check it will clear faults on a the breaker which you have said is 32A (and presumably B-curve?) Again, almost certainly OK if it is also OK for voltage drop and if less than 20-30m that is fairly reasonable.
  • No, you should not be adding sockets!
That is the whole point of the FCU on a non-RCD circuit, you are installing fixed appliances that are wired directly to the FCU.
[automerge]1590489999[/automerge]
Are they using the FCU as a remote point of switching so you don't have to go behind the fridge freezer?

If so you might want to look at replacing the current FCU with a grid style switch with two 20A DP switches (with neons if you like) and then each of them running to FCU for connecting the appliances to. This idea:

[automerge]1590490877[/automerge]
You can also get fused spurs without a switch so less uncertainty about power control if remotely switched. however, I would probably get the neon version as additional indication of power (not that you should ever assume no light = no power). For example:

Last edited:
Final thought, if you want sockets instead of hard-wired FCU (you could use switched ones with the separate grid-style switches) can you change the MCB to a RCBO?

What’s the current rating of the fridge you have and in respect of the additional freezer, do you know it’s current rating? Must admit that if both appliances came with manufacturers 13amp plugs and your 32A dedicated circuit is correctly installed why not plug them both into a double socket. FCU only if hard wiring and need better access to isolate. I stand to be corrected as I’m only a novice!

The issues is the lack of RCD protection and reg 411.3.3 requiring it for new sockets. Options are:
  • Treat it as a minor home mod and ignore that regulation as not bringing circuit up to current regulations (not a new circuit after all).
  • Hard wired the appliances via FCUs so they are not covered by the requirement for RCD on "socket outlets not exceeding 32A" (maybe more reliable power without RCD action).
  • Replace the 32A MCB with an RCBO (maybe down to 20A C-curve due to 2.5mm but to keep instant trip high) and then fit double socket, or maybe better two singles.
The building regulations in Scotland require appliances to have an accessible means of isolation short of pulling the damn thing out (which is quite sensible) so I would be in favour of keeping accessible switches in any case (e.g. suggested replacement of FCU with grid switches) and then unswitched sockets or unswitched FCU (if hard wired).

Discuss!

Last edited:
my way would be to change the MCB for a 20A, fit a double socket (FCU not required), label the double socket as Fridge/Freezer, no RCD. youronly non-comloiance would then be if the cable is buried <50mm deep in a wall.reg. 522.6, i think,

Reply to I have a dedicated circuit for my fridge and freezer on a 32amp breaker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net