Discuss I have a HNC in electrical engineering and I would like to become a qualified electrician. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have spent the majority of my adult life trying to secure an apprenticeship as an electrician, this has been a very hard journey but I have not given up, I have gone as far as putting myself through a HNC in electrical engineering passing my graded unit with an A in the hopes that this would help me secure an adult apprenticeship although this has not been the case. I currently work as a Multi Skilled engineer in the commercial maintenance sector. I suppose what I am asking is for some advice or even help to achieve my lifelong goal.

Hi Guys,

I have spent the majority of my adult life trying to secure an apprenticeship as an electrician, this has been a very hard journey but I have not given up, I have gone as far as putting myself through a HNC in electrical engineering passing my graded unit with an A in the hopes that this would help me secure an adult apprenticeship although this has not been the case. I currently work as a Multi Skilled engineer in the commercial maintenance sector. I suppose what I am asking is for some advice or even help to achieve my lifelong goal.
Someone recently was on the forum from Aberdeen, he had an Hnc as well. So i am thinking you might be worth looking South of the Border to get qualified. Granted that its not going to be the sjib recommended / Only method of Apprenticeship But has been done. To get some hands on experience and finish Nvq youd need to be working as an electrial labourer/mate.

I agree, you may be better finding someone who will take you as a labourer or trainee without the title of apprenticeship. You should be able to use the practical experience for your NVQ. Might seem crazy but there are plenty of Electrical Tiktok accounts. A relatively easy way to contact some local to you maybe. Don't give up.

Problem I am having now is trying to figure out what the wage would be it is unclear for adult trainees
the wage structure which i cant remember is on the sjib website for electrical labour But if you are working as labour via an agency which is the most likely event it should be slightly better.. I am guessing you should get £11+ possibly £14/15. once you tick the boxes and get that nvq finished £20 ish. There are options out there (not publicized) in Scotland using the English route .If you need further advice you could Pm me

Hi Guys,

IF you have an opportunity to get on the Sjib adult scheme JUMP at it ,im sure they would allow your previous experience to count as for the rate short term it might be poorish but theres always overtime etc to make it up or horse trading etc as you get more experience the rate will go up .The two rate are the rate for travel and the rate whilst working in the workshop . I have paid the tickets myself and its an option BUT id rather have a more traditional route which is more respected

Hi guys,
Thought I would post an update, I got an adult trainee apprenticeship in Glasgow and I'm now in my second year.
Fantastic News .. Year 2 of 4 or 5? Did the sjib adult course change its time frames., in line with the other courses. I understand the need for Ev/Pv awareness .

let us know when you finish and Fica.
:)

Reply to I have a HNC in electrical engineering and I would like to become a qualified electrician. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net