Discuss I have a mk sentry breaker and it won't switch off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No it's not common. I've only seen it once when the terminal screws were grossly overtightened.

If the switch is moving to the off position but the power is still on:
Is this for a socket circuit? If so it is possible that it is a ring circuit that has been connected across more than one circuit breaker.

No it's not common. I've only seen it once when the terminal screws were grossly overtightened.

If the switch is moving to the off position but the power is still on:
Is this for a socket circuit? If so it is possible that it is a ring circuit that has been connected across more than one circuit breaker.
Yes it is a socket breaker. It is like it has tripped but will switch on but won't switch off. It was installed about 18 months ago

Sounds like you will need an electrician to check the circuit breaker /wiring inside the consumer unit.
Sounds like you will need an electrician to check the circuit breaker /wiring inside the consumer unit.
W
OK thanks. We had a new kitchen installed approx 6 months ago and the electrician had a problem with another breaker doing the same thing. Don't know if he had connected wrong. Would it do the same thing to 2 breakers.

I reckon you could have a back feed issue from another circuit

in 25 years I have only ever come across an mcb that wont turn off once

Have come across a few that wont turn on mind

W

OK thanks. We had a new kitchen installed approx 6 months ago and the electrician had a problem with another breaker doing the same thing. Don't know if he had connected wrong. Would it do the same thing to 2 breakers.

What paperwork did you get for the electrical work?

I've come across several MCBs that have had the contacts welded together, due to being subjected to a fault. I could operate the toggle up and down, but power was supplied to the circuit whether on or off.

I have a mk sentry 5932s b32 breaker that won't switch off .is this common

Another reason I don't buy MK (not installed any MK consumer units etc since 2008 when they changed the range and quality wend downhill)

Not surprised at all.

As others have said- the ring circuit could be wired in to the consumer unit wrongly.
Best to have it checked

If the contacts of a MCB has welded themselves together, I would expect to feel much less resistance when moving the toggle to the 'on' position, when compared to another MCB of the same type.

Reply to I have a mk sentry breaker and it won't switch off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net