Discuss I have decided... after a long time i want to become an Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

EoinMcD

I have been searching for a trade that I want to go into but I am always coming back to the same one... I am 20yr ½ from Northern Ireland wanting to become an electrician but by the time I can ask for an apprenticeship I will be 21yr. My real question is... am I to old to get into the field?

No not at all ,20s is fine for starting

Experience is key is that takes time so that's a downside to late starting ,and you slow a bit too when you hit the 40s

Electrical installation work is training , instructions , competence and experience

Considering most school leavers would be 17, 3 years ain’t gonna make a lot of difference.

Some companies may prefer a more mature candidate

I have been searching for a trade that I want to go into but I am always coming back to the same one... I am 20yr ½ from Northern Ireland wanting to become an electrician but by the time I can ask for an apprenticeship I will be 21yr. My real question is... am I to old to get into the field?
I'm 34 and after trying for over 10 years i just bagged an apprenticeship. You're still a whippersnapper.

problem is apprenticeship wages.if you're still in your parents'nest maybe OK but if you've got rent/mortgage/ carpet crawlers, no chance of financial survival.

I am still living at home, at 20yrs old and I feel embarrassed, of course I don't tell anybody that. If I could could bag an apprenticeship i would 100% move out, basically would have to live 4yrs without very much but it is the career choice I want.

Stick in with your parents.
Apprenticeship wages aren’t great, and even afterwards, it could be the company doesn’t keep you on.
Having meals and laundry done for you will help, if you’re new to 8 hour working days.

I think I was 22/23 when I left home, but I was fully qualified by then.

i was 22 when i left home. just finished college and was on the princely income of £1.50/week > OK 1970, but £1.50 would just cover an evening at the local pub.

Stick in with your parents.
Apprenticeship wages aren’t great, and even afterwards, it could be the company doesn’t keep you on.
Having meals and laundry done for you will help, if you’re new to 8 hour working days.

I think I was 22/23 when I left home, but I was fully qualified by then.
8hr days aren't a problem kind of a relief if I say myself, My dads a plumber use to fit bathrooms with him full time some weeks I was working 60hrs plus, i need to get into a trade now before its to late.

I am still living at home, at 20yrs old and I feel embarrassed, of course I don't tell anybody that. If I could could bag an apprenticeship i would 100% move out, basically would have to live 4yrs without very much but it is the career choice I want.
I don't like to be a naysayer because people are quick to tell you how little you know in this day and age, but in reality there is zero chance (and i do mean zero) that you will be able to move out on apprentice wages.

The rate is £4.30 an hour which on a 40 hour week is less than £700 a month before travel, tools, clothing, food, tax, rent, etc.

It's just not doable unless you live with a partner or in insanely cheap shared rental accommodation.

Stick with the parents. Having pride in going it alone when it's detrimental to you makes no sense. It's better to be savvy now and reap the rewards later. In three years time you'd be on £15+ an hour. Then you can move out and thank your parents for putting you up.

EDIT: just thought to clarify - i can afford to be an apprentice for several reasons, one is that i have decent savings, two is that i own my own home so pay no rent or mortgage, and because i have kids we get tax breaks/benefits etc that single people don't get. I'm also being paid normal minimum wage and yet despite all this, i'm pretty much breaking even every month when you consider having to run my car etc. That's with kids that cost me basically nothing except food bills - for them maybe £50 a month - and being on more than twice the wage the OP would be on.

Last edited:
and thank your parents for putting you up.

bearingin mind that it's probably going to be you that chooses their retirement/nursing home

I don't like to be a naysayer because people are quick to tell you how little you know in this day and age, but in reality there is zero chance (and i do mean zero) that you will be able to move out on apprentice wages.

The rate is £4.30 an hour which on a 40 hour week is less than £700 a month before travel, tools, clothing, food, tax, rent, etc.

It's just not doable unless you live with a partner or in insanely cheap shared rental accommodation.

Stick with the parents. Having pride in going it alone when it's detrimental to you makes no sense. It's better to be savvy now and reap the rewards later. In three years time you'd be on £15+ an hour. Then you can move out and thank your parents for putting you up.
I will be a 21yr apprentice (Hopefully) on £8.36hr but i get what you are saying.

I will be a 21yr apprentice (Hopefully) on £8.36hr but i get what you are saying.
Minimum wage for a first year apprentice is £4.30 max regardless of age. An employer may choose to pay more, but under 25 that's unlikely. After the first year you'd go up to £8.36 which you'd be able to survive on if you house shared or lived in real cheap accommodation.

My advice would be to stick at home and save like a crazy person for 3 years. Do all the overtime you can. Then you'll have a decent little pot to leave home with.

I have another question, for who ever wants to answer it, i was offered to go as a self employed apprentice and lie to the college... i didnt take it but what is your thoughts?

I have another question, for who ever wants to answer it, i was offered to go as a self employed apprentice and lie to the college... i didnt take it but what is your thoughts?
Run a mile. The apprenticeship has to be done via your employer and they have to sign a contract between them and college stating the terms.

No reputable company would advise you to do that. Sounds like they want to put you through it and get the funding, but make you sort out all your own tax etc and they can also sack you whenever they choose.

Self employed would actually be better for you since you can claim for all your expenses pre tax but it's shady AF for them to suggest lying to your college and apprenticeship provider. These are government funded, if they got found out they'd be in it deep.

Minimum wage for a first year apprentice is £4.30 max regardless of age. An employer may choose to pay more, but under 25 that's unlikely.
No, I read up on the apprenticeship scheme I thought 19 plus was minimum wage, yous don't realise how much i thanks yous for the info.
I got Married at 21 in 1971 mate, £1.50 a week. what planet were you on?
I was born 2001, my dad was born 1978. I'm not getting married anytime soon un fortunately. XD

Run a mile. The apprenticeship has to be done via your employer and they have to sign a contract between them and college stating the terms.

No reputable company would advise you to do that. Sounds like they want to put you through it and get the funding, but make you sort out all your own tax etc and they can also sack you whenever they choose.

Self employed would actually be better for you since you can claim for all your expenses pre tax but it's shady AF for them to suggest lying to your college and apprenticeship provider. These are government funded, if they got found out they'd be in it deep.
You can't be a self employed apprentice... i didnt want to risk it, i want to be 100% legit

that's what I thought, the intake for this year is finished but I got out now as a sparks mate for a wage and experience, to hand out my cv is April 2022 to company's hoping they will take on apprentice with previous experience as an advantage.

Reply to I have decided... after a long time i want to become an Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net