Discuss I have not been paid, what shall I do in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

sham

-
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hello, I am a self-employed electrician who has carried out work for a pub/club in my area. I did not do a contract. It’s been nearly 2 years and he has not paid me. He owes me over £5000. I tried seeking advice and somebody suggested that I go on-line to claim through MCOL on GOV.UK site. Apparently it is the cheapest option. It says on the online-document, before a claim is made I need to follow an pre-action protocol. The pre-action protocol booklet that I downloaded confused me. Can someone please tell me which steps I can take.

What I have so far,

I have messages between me and him regarding the work.

I have taken pictures.

My Scheme assessor came to look at the work and I have an assessment report to that address.

I have completed an Electrical installation Certificate.

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
he might be trying to pull a fast one,
he might be genuinley concerned that he will pay the final bill and not get the required certification.

When I come across things like this, I usually provide a Draft certificate.
i.e. a cert with all the correct details on it, watermarked with DRAFT COPY and no signature.

maybe offer him that, and a signed copy will be provide on completion of payments outstanding?

Upvote 0

Risteard

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Upvote 0

BLBelfast

-
Arms
Reaction score
If you have been thrown off site before the job is complete, unless there is something fundamentally wrong with your workmanship, i would expect you to be able to invoice for all materials and all time on site at your standard hourley rate.

Note, this may be more than the price you quoted for the works in total.
Was labour only. Hes paid 80 percent of quoted price, minus what the EIC will cost and refusing to pay for the extras which we’re verbally agreed and obvious from drawings etc that have changed.

Not long out by myself I’ve learnt a valuable lesson in paperwork tbh. Have all emails and texts saved but pricing of extras I was too busy to sort but have invoiced him fair rates. Wondering if that would be looked at as in prices are well within market value.

Upvote 0

BLBelfast

-
Arms
Reaction score
he might be trying to pull a fast one,
he might be genuinley concerned that he will pay the final bill and not get the required certification.

When I come across things like this, I usually provide a Draft certificate.
i.e. a cert with all the correct details on it, watermarked with DRAFT COPY and no signature.

maybe offer him that, and a signed copy will be provide on completion of payments outstanding?
The difficulty is there was no dialogue. Been happy all along. Asked to pay on Friday and said about he needs a cert by a qualified electrician? I told him I am in the process and we’ll qualified and he’s just said do not attend site and wants me to pay for a test. If he had have raised any concerns and paid the extras bill I’d have split the cost for an outside contractor to keep everyone happy.

Do you think I should reiterate I’m qualified and will provide a cert even in text form as he won’t speak to me and pretty sure he won’t want me in his property? Would that look like I’ve tried to resolve the issue. His other concern about me being qualified im thinking leave him thinking he is right while checking the NIC, and that as if it goes to small claims im covered and that will help the fact he’s completely barking up the wrong tree

Upvote 0

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I presume the original quote was for you to do the work and provide the EIC?

You are learning a valuable lesson here,
could you gather all the information together into a single document and send it to the customer for a response?

I.e.
I quoted 1000 for x
added to the work list on "date" was this and we agreed 100 would cover it
here is the final invoice for payment within 7 days.

he will not pay it, but the response should guide you in the way that you should deal with it.

Upvote 0

Risteard

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The difficulty is there was no dialogue. Been happy all along. Asked to pay on Friday and said about he needs a cert by a qualified electrician? I told him I am in the process and we’ll qualified and he’s just said do not attend site and wants me to pay for a test. If he had have raised any concerns and paid the extras bill I’d have split the cost for an outside contractor to keep everyone happy.

Do you think I should reiterate I’m qualified and will provide a cert even in text form as he won’t speak to me and pretty sure he won’t want me in his property? Would that look like I’ve tried to resolve the issue. His other concern about me being qualified im thinking leave him thinking he is right while checking the NIC, and that as if it goes to small claims im covered and that will help the fact he’s completely barking up the wrong tree
You could inform him that Electricians are required to certify works, as you will - and that there is no legal obligation to be registered with any particular body to do that, nor are there any legal obligations within the jurisdiction to be registered to carry out works.

Upvote 0

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
You could inform him that Electricians are required to certify works, as you will - and that there is no legal obligation to be registered with any particular body to do that, nor are there any legal obligations within the jurisdiction to be registered to carry out works.
Fantastic, I presume that this is applicable to the part of Ireland that the OP is working in?

As i said much earlier, I am not sure of the requirements in NI but if the OP has the qualifications and registrations that are Legally required then push on for payment and not accept any deductions.

Upvote 0

Risteard

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Fantastic, I presume that this is applicable to the part of Ireland that the OP is working in?

As i said much earlier, I am not sure of the requirements in NI but if the OP has the qualifications and registrations that are Legally required then push on for payment and not accept any deductions.
Yes. It's different in the south where the whole area of Restricted Electrical Works and Controlled Electrical Works applies, but in the north there are no particular obligations unless client specified or specified by insurance companies etc. Essentially it's unregulated in the north.

Upvote 0

Risteard

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just to contradict my earlier statement about the industry being unregulated in the north, I should point out that when it comes to public sector procurement there are Licence to Practice requirements.

Upvote 0

BLBelfast

-
Arms
Reaction score
I presume the original quote was for you to do the work and provide the EIC?

You are learning a valuable lesson here,
could you gather all the information together into a single document and send it to the customer for a response?

I.e.
I quoted 1000 for x
added to the work list on "date" was this and we agreed 100 would cover it
here is the final invoice for payment within 7 days.

he will not pay it, but the response should guide you in the way that you should deal with it.
I’ve done basically that and his response was will wait to see what the outside electrical contractor says. Should I just leave it at that though he’s admitted he doesn’t know when the electrician will get out to “sign off”. He’s no intention of paying the extras

Upvote 0

Risteard

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I wouldn't leave it at that. Tell him that if he engages an outside contractor he will remain liable for all outstanding debts, and that interference with the electrical installation may have adverse effects on the warranty. Also the extras have been priced in line with ethical and fair practice principles and must therefore be paid in full.

If you really want to kick him then you can add that otherwise you shall be commencing legal proceedings.

Upvote 0

BLBelfast

-
Arms
Reaction score
Really appreciate all the help. As it stands he is off the opinion I’m not qualified. I don’t think genuinely but simply to get out of paying. Should i send him proof of my qualifications and the fact I was in process of providing a certificate again as I’ve never actually sent him the proof as it came out of the blue and he didn’t ask. Just said he’s getting a qualified guy in. I repeatedly informed him a cert wouldn’t be issued. Or leave it for the small claims and just press ahead with that

Upvote 0
Reaction score
Hello, I am a self-employed electrician who has carried out work for a pub/club in my area. I did not do a contract. It’s been nearly 2 years and he has not paid me. He owes me over £5000. I tried seeking advice and somebody suggested that I go on-line to claim through MCOL on GOV.UK site. Apparently it is the cheapest option. It says on the online-document, before a claim is made I need to follow an pre-action protocol. The pre-action protocol booklet that I downloaded confused me. Can someone please tell me which steps I can take.

What I have so far,

I have messages between me and him regarding the work.

I have taken pictures.

My Scheme assessor came to look at the work and I have an assessment report to that address.

I have completed an Electrical installation Certificate.
check your insurance, i have legal cover on my insurance and they will go after none payers. As long as you have all the communication details you have a good case.

Upvote 0

Paignton pete

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What was your plan for notifying building control?

if you are not registered with a registration body and you are doing notifiable works you really should have arranged third party notification prior to works starting.

id also have informed the customer and made it clear this was the case.

a bit of devils advocate here.
im not saying you shouldn’t get paid,
but if I was a customer who has an electrician working for me,
And I find that the domestic works need notifying,
and I find that the electrician working for me is not able to notify because they are not registered,
And they have made no provision for notification.
I would believe I would have legitimate concerns as I would expect notification as part of the works as standard.

Upvote 0

Risteard

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Northern Ireland. I thought Northern Ireland was part of Uk thus same regs applied.

is it different in Northern Ireland?
are there not registration schemes?
Do you not have to notify domestic?
They're not UK Building Regulations though - they're different in each jurisdiction. (As I understand it, even England & Wales have differences between them.)

Upvote 0

baldelectrician

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Northern Ireland. I thought Northern Ireland was part of Uk thus same regs applied.

is it different in Northern Ireland?
are there not registration schemes?
Do you not have to notify domestic?
I live in Scotland and part P brought electrics in to the building regs (for dwellings) in England / Wales circa 2004.

Scotland has had some form of control for electrics in the building regs since 1959 (replaced by the Building [Scotland Act 2003]), so it is different in other parts of the UK

Back to the OP>
A few points;
Inform him that you are qualified and competent but are not registered with NICIEC / ECA currently
Is the house unoccupied (if yes then there is no cooling off law to apply)?

If it is unoccupied (when the deal was made) then you have dodged a bullet.

In your circumstances I would point out that
  • He supplied the materials (re missing consumer unit blanks) and failed to get them despite you letting him know
  • You left the main switch off with a wire loop through the isolator (making someone put it only by cutting a wire = using a tool)
  • Send him a certificate (unsigned and marked draft as noted earlier)
  • Let him know you wish to complete the job and would like the opportunity to
  • Let him know you will invoice for time and materials used if he decides against the last point
  • Point out this may be higher than the original estimate as he has changed the job
  • Send a copy of your grade card which proves your compotence
  • DO NOT PHONE HIM
  • All communication by email (use letter saved as a pdf)
  • Back up with snail mail and proof of postage (not signed for as he can refuse it)
  • Remember to charge for things that he has not supplied (rawlplugs / screws / clips etc) - these may be buried in the building structure and let him know you will seek these items back at court if it goes that far. I know of a joiner who got nearly bumped doing a bar and got his money (client supplied materials) when he said he would ask for his wood glue and fixings back- this was holding the finished bar together. Guy paid up quick.
Learn from this and have a contract / terms and conditions

Upvote 0

BLBelfast

-
Arms
Reaction score
Speaking in general terms, and not insinuating anything about this particular case or the OP.
When a tradesman performs unsatisfactory work, you cannot employ someone to do remedial work, expecting the tradesman to pay, without first giving him the chance to do the remedials himself.
Speaking in general terms, and not insinuating anything about this particular case or the OP.
When a tradesman performs unsatisfactory work, you cannot employ someone to do remedial work, expecting the tradesman to pay, without first giving him the chance to do the remedials
What was your plan for notifying building control?

if you are not registered with a registration body and you are doing notifiable works you really should have arranged third party notification prior to works starting.

id also have informed the customer and made it clear this was the case.

a bit of devils advocate here.
im not saying you shouldn’t get paid,
but if I was a customer who has an electrician working for me,
And I find that the domestic works need notifying,
and I find that the electrician working for me is not able to notify because they are not registered,
And they have made no provision for notification.
I would believe I would have legitimate concerns as I would expect notification as part of the works as standard.

Completely understand where you are coming from but as has been mentioned here in NI there is no such registrations needed. If there was I would be registered before trading. Also at no time was anything asked, even if the customer was confused and assumed this as well.

Upvote 0

Mike Johnson

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I don't know if you have the equivalent of the "Joint Contract Tribunal" in NI, but the JCT form of contract would be the reference for any Judge/Magistrate/Arbitrator sitting on the case if it came to that, get a copy of the small works form and use its clause's (without reference) when writing to the customer.

As @brianmooooore mentions in post 105 that is a clause in the JCT form of contract.

Upvote 0

Paignton pete

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Strangely not at all. Obviously if something goes wrong would have to prove competency. We have a huge issue with the bathrooms and kitchen companies doing their own work.
Thanks for the info.
your quote “strangely not at all” is strange indeed.

really surprised by this.

your customer is either thinking what I thought regarding uk and NI regs cross over or he just doesn’t want to pay.

Post 112 @baldelectrician got pretty good advice summed up perfectly.

good luck.

Upvote 0

BLBelfast

-
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
your quote “strangely not at all” is strange indeed.

really surprised by this.

your customer is either thinking what I thought regarding uk and NI regs cross over or he just doesn’t want to pay.

Post 112 @baldelectrician got pretty good advice summed up perfectly.

good luck.
Thanks. If he was thinking the same at no stage did he ask till he had to make a final payment and the house was basically complete. Which seems to me like a stitch up. I would also assume if you had genuine concerns you would speak to the contractor instead of just radio silence and refusing to pay

Upvote 0

nicebutdim

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
From their website:

"Only those Electrical Contractors who complete Pre-Qualification Questionnaires for Government Construction contracts are required to register. The LtP Initiative applies to all appropriate NI Government construction contracts from 1 February 2016."

Upvote 0

Reply to I have not been paid, what shall I do in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net