Discuss I have not been paid, what shall I do in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Just to confirm, what country is the work being done in?

Didn’t want to start another new thread but my situation is finished a large house rewire apart from an unfinished bathroom and was in process of testing on Friday. Over the weekend the customer checked the “Register of qualified “ electricians and couldn’t find my name so refusing to pay final payments and I’m getting a bill for a qualified electrician to sign off. Job is satisfactory. I’m an approved gold card spark with all possible other cards and 20 years in the industry so will be quite surprised if any anything is found bar no blanks in the consumer unit.(supplied by customer)

Have I got the gist that I should send him an itemised invoice. Which I have. In 3 days send a final demand then apply on line to small claims court 28 days later?

He’s also going to report me to trading standards as I’m not an electrician apparantly. As I’ve said there is nothing in the job that could have worried him and no prior dialogue of any concerns. Sent me a message on Thursday saying what a great job I had done
Sorry to hear about your problems.

If your JIB card is in date then you could send a verification link to ECS Check and then he will see that you are listed as Electrician, Approved Electrician or whatever.

Obviously blanks should have been fitted in the DB even if the customer didn't supply any, but that's beside the point.

If your JIB card is in date then you could send a verification link to ECS Check and then he will see that you are listed as Electrician, Approved Electrician or whatever.

Obviously blanks should have been fitted in the DB even if the customer didn't supply any, but that's beside the point.

I think he is well aware I’m a spark and it’s the NIC register he is checking after having no mention of it before Friday when he was meant to pay me. Not sure he is interested and it’s his plan that I just give up as im
not on the list he’s looked up.

The blanks issue could come up when the other company come in to sign off and there was no live tests carried out so surely thinking I can’t be held accountable if it fails as I wasn’t given the chance to test fully

ok, I don't know what the legal requirements for doing domestic work in NI are.
In England it would come under part P of building reg's

but if you are qualified and registered with whoever you need to be, i would not be accepting a bill for someone else testing the instalation.
provide them with your own set of certificates of installation and a bill.

If you have been thrown off site before the job is complete, unless there is something fundamentally wrong with your workmanship, i would expect you to be able to invoice for all materials and all time on site at your standard hourley rate.

Note, this may be more than the price you quoted for the works in total.

How do you send a link for this please.Not quite sure how I get an authorisation code?

ok, I don't know what the legal requirements for doing domestic work in NI are.
In England it would come under part P of building reg's

but if you are qualified and registered with whoever you need to be, i would not be accepting a bill for someone else testing the instalation.
provide them with your own set of certificates of installation and a bill.

I have texts telling him I would be testing on Friday and then his arguement over the weekend was I am unable or won’t provide a certificate. I said he won’t be getting it till I’m paid but didn’t even get a chance to finish testing

Note:
Keep a record of all comunication between yourself and the customer.

if it is a telephone call, take notes of the important points and email a copy of them to the customer.
ensure that you can be seen to have made all reasonable efforts to sort out issues. (this will help you a lot if it goes to small claims court)

he might be trying to pull a fast one,
he might be genuinley concerned that he will pay the final bill and not get the required certification.

When I come across things like this, I usually provide a Draft certificate.
i.e. a cert with all the correct details on it, watermarked with DRAFT COPY and no signature.

maybe offer him that, and a signed copy will be provide on completion of payments outstanding?

If you have been thrown off site before the job is complete, unless there is something fundamentally wrong with your workmanship, i would expect you to be able to invoice for all materials and all time on site at your standard hourley rate.

Note, this may be more than the price you quoted for the works in total.
Was labour only. Hes paid 80 percent of quoted price, minus what the EIC will cost and refusing to pay for the extras which we’re verbally agreed and obvious from drawings etc that have changed.

Not long out by myself I’ve learnt a valuable lesson in paperwork tbh. Have all emails and texts saved but pricing of extras I was too busy to sort but have invoiced him fair rates. Wondering if that would be looked at as in prices are well within market value.

he might be trying to pull a fast one,
he might be genuinley concerned that he will pay the final bill and not get the required certification.

When I come across things like this, I usually provide a Draft certificate.
i.e. a cert with all the correct details on it, watermarked with DRAFT COPY and no signature.

maybe offer him that, and a signed copy will be provide on completion of payments outstanding?
The difficulty is there was no dialogue. Been happy all along. Asked to pay on Friday and said about he needs a cert by a qualified electrician? I told him I am in the process and we’ll qualified and he’s just said do not attend site and wants me to pay for a test. If he had have raised any concerns and paid the extras bill I’d have split the cost for an outside contractor to keep everyone happy.

Do you think I should reiterate I’m qualified and will provide a cert even in text form as he won’t speak to me and pretty sure he won’t want me in his property? Would that look like I’ve tried to resolve the issue. His other concern about me being qualified im thinking leave him thinking he is right while checking the NIC, and that as if it goes to small claims im covered and that will help the fact he’s completely barking up the wrong tree

I presume the original quote was for you to do the work and provide the EIC?

You are learning a valuable lesson here,
could you gather all the information together into a single document and send it to the customer for a response?

I.e.
I quoted 1000 for x
added to the work list on "date" was this and we agreed 100 would cover it
here is the final invoice for payment within 7 days.

he will not pay it, but the response should guide you in the way that you should deal with it.

The difficulty is there was no dialogue. Been happy all along. Asked to pay on Friday and said about he needs a cert by a qualified electrician? I told him I am in the process and we’ll qualified and he’s just said do not attend site and wants me to pay for a test. If he had have raised any concerns and paid the extras bill I’d have split the cost for an outside contractor to keep everyone happy.

Do you think I should reiterate I’m qualified and will provide a cert even in text form as he won’t speak to me and pretty sure he won’t want me in his property? Would that look like I’ve tried to resolve the issue. His other concern about me being qualified im thinking leave him thinking he is right while checking the NIC, and that as if it goes to small claims im covered and that will help the fact he’s completely barking up the wrong tree
You could inform him that Electricians are required to certify works, as you will - and that there is no legal obligation to be registered with any particular body to do that, nor are there any legal obligations within the jurisdiction to be registered to carry out works.

You could inform him that Electricians are required to certify works, as you will - and that there is no legal obligation to be registered with any particular body to do that, nor are there any legal obligations within the jurisdiction to be registered to carry out works.
Fantastic, I presume that this is applicable to the part of Ireland that the OP is working in?

As i said much earlier, I am not sure of the requirements in NI but if the OP has the qualifications and registrations that are Legally required then push on for payment and not accept any deductions.

Fantastic, I presume that this is applicable to the part of Ireland that the OP is working in?

As i said much earlier, I am not sure of the requirements in NI but if the OP has the qualifications and registrations that are Legally required then push on for payment and not accept any deductions.
Yes. It's different in the south where the whole area of Restricted Electrical Works and Controlled Electrical Works applies, but in the north there are no particular obligations unless client specified or specified by insurance companies etc. Essentially it's unregulated in the north.

Reply to I have not been paid, what shall I do in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock