Discuss I just bought multimeter it ran good until it says -000 on every mode in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I bougt multimeter and i wanted to test it at home i meausred volts in the outlet and it said 225V.Then when i didnt need it anymore i put it away in the box.And now it says -000 on every mode expect ohms it stays on 0.05

Are the leads connected to anything in that pic.? Zero is what it should read, of course, if turned on and not connected.
Yes the leads arent connected in anything but when i put them in a socket i dont get a result it stays on 000 and when i go to ohms and its shows 0.5 and when i touch the leads together it goes to zero and after a sec to 0.5 again

Wonder if one of the leads is faulty? Remove the test leads and use a bit of wire to connect the right hand two sockets together on an ohms range.
i did as you said and it stays on -000.Then i tested which lead is faulty and its the red one.I tested it by plugging the black lead in com and the wire in v/ohms and it stayed in zero.But then i tried it with the red lead and it goes to 0.5.

Some test leads have a fuse built into the probe end, although not usually at the cheaper end of the market.
Can i fix it somehow?I think something is wrong inside the multimeter beacuse the leads show value on another multimeter.Also i tried to measure the ohms of resistor which i know the resistance of 650ohms i calculated using the colors.And it shows 0.5 ohms again.

Last edited:
Won't be a lead with a fuse, because these can't be used for current measurement, and you don't have a second lead just for this.
It seems like a poor connection where the lead plugs into the meter, but there's no certainty whether it's the lead or meter at fault, even if they work with another meter (which may stress the connection slightly differently. The next test would be to use known good leads with your meter, and see if there's ever any hint of the fault appearing again.

Won't be a lead with a fuse, because these can't be used for current measurement, and you don't have a second lead just for this.
It seems like a poor connection where the lead plugs into the meter, but there's no certainty whether it's the lead or meter at fault, even if they work with another meter (which may stress the connection slightly differently. The next test would be to use known good leads with your meter, and see if there's ever any hint of the fault appearing again.
I just got a lead from my friends multimeter which on his work fine,and the issue is still there.

Reply to I just bought multimeter it ran good until it says -000 on every mode in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock