Discuss Earthing and Bonding question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

KINGSLEY

DIY
Reaction score
I need someone to enlighten me about Earthing and Bonding.

We've just completed the construction of four Fabricated Steel Bay Structures with a total of 354 Stansions 102 Beams, all connected to the Porlins, the place is to be used to seat 120,000 persons.

I am not in doubt of the importance of Earthing and Bonding to prevent shocks when there's leakage.
But i am told that the 354 Stansions must be bonded together to prevent shocks if leakage occurs.

My question is why must all the Stansion be bond together, when the whole structure, Stansions and Beam up to the Porlins are tied to each other.

Why don't we stagger the earthing and bonding to a reduced number of Stansions.
Thank you.
Kingsley
DIY Forum

I need someone to enlighten me about Earthing and Bonding.

We've just completed the construction of four Fabricated Steel Bay Structures with a total of 354 Stansions 102 Beams, all connected to the Porlins, the place is to be used to seat 120,000 persons.

I am not in doubt of the importance of Earthing and Bonding to prevent shocks when there's leakage.
But i am told that the 354 Stansions must be bonded together to prevent shocks if leakage occurs.

My question is why must all the Stansion be bond together, when the whole structure, Stansions and Beam up to the Porlins are tied to each other.

Why don't we stagger the earthing and bonding to a reduced number of Stansions.
Thank you.
Kingsley
DIY Forum
Kingsley in theory when you look at the building and with the steel structure it’s already bonded together but they want you to take each stansions to earth but I know that’s a lot. That’s information you should have had when the job started then you could have installed grounding electrodes at each Stansion before they poured the concrete good luck

Who has told you they need bonding I this way?
What exactly have they told you is required?

Generally the minimum that is required is a bond to the steel structure at one point. The combination of bolts holding the structure together and the lightning protection linking it all together is usually enough to ensure continuity

However many designers/engineers will specify more than a single bond, anything up to a buried bare conductor ring around the building connected to every stanchion.

Assuming this is in Nigeria then local/national rules may apply or the consultant/designer has specific reasons for this requirement.

Reply to Earthing and Bonding question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock