Discuss I replaced the light and now my heater switch won't switch on. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I replaced few of the lights 4 to be precise 2 downstairs and 2 upstairs and now my heater won't turn on.
Is it just the coincidence? Did I make a mistake? All the other socket is working but the switch next to the heater won't turn on. I replaced the fuse.. also, if I am correct, light and sockets won't be connected because of different amps . Just need a confirmation or possible solutions.

Thanks
Fish head.

do you mean that you operate the switch but the heater won't work, or is the switch itself stuck in the off position?

Difficult to say then. As you say, there shouldn't be any connection between your lighting circuits and your socket circuits, but it's not impossible.

Again, what sort of heater? I ask the question because I have known CH boilers/wet systems fed off a lighting circuit, in which case it may be related to your alterations, but it's very unlikely that an electric heater would be from a lighting circuit.

Again, what sort of heater? I ask the question because I have known CH boilers/wet systems fed off a lighting circuit, in which case it may be related to your alterations, but it's very unlikely that an electric heater would be from a lighting circuit.
Sorry o missed your answer. It's this kind of heater, I am not sure . This is my brother's new house. He is just moving in.

15715710349707979361059448683293.jpg

So you are saying, prior to you changing the lights, the lamp on the right fused connection unit was illuminated when the switch was in the 'on' position, but now it isn't?
Perhaps a photo of your consumer unit may assist.

When you replaced the lights, did you isolate the lighting circuits at the consumer unit?

So you are saying, prior to you changing the lights, the lamp on the right fused connection unit was illuminated when the switch was in the 'on' position, but now it isn't?
Perhaps a photo of your consumer unit may assist.

When you replaced the lights, did you isolate the lighting circuits at the consumer unit?
Yes, exactly this.and yes I did.

View attachment 15715716934811507114974269566740.jpg

are the lights working? my bet is that you've tripped a RCD (N-E short even though MCB was off).

Looking at that back to front image, it appears to go:
non-RCD side: immersion / lights / lights / smokes
RCD-side: cooker / sockets / sockets
Therefore I guess the fused connection unit for the boiler is on the ground floor sockets circuit, which may be either a ring final or radial circuit.
Have you checked every other socket on this circuit is working?
Do you have any suitable equipment (multimeter, etc) that you can safely probe the fused connection unit (supply side) to see if you have voltage there?

Try switching the water heater MCB off then on again, if the unit is fed off that it may just be a sticky MCB which you disturbed when isolating the lights. Unlikely but worth a try. Otherwise unless you are competent to test for voltage at relevant points I feel it may be best to ask an electrician to investigate.

Try switching the water heater MCB off then on again, if the unit is fed off that it may just be a sticky MCB which you disturbed when isolating the lights. Unlikely but worth a try. Otherwise unless you are competent to test for voltage at relevant points I feel it may be best to ask an electrician to investigate.
Yes, all the other socket is working
Looking at that back to front image, it appears to go:
non-RCD side: immersion / lights / lights / smokes
RCD-side: cooker / sockets / sockets
Therefore I guess the fused connection unit for the boiler is on the ground floor sockets circuit, which may be either a ring final or radial circuit.
Have you checked every other socket on this circuit is working? I also switched the MCB on and off, still nothing.
Do you have any suitable equipment (multimeter, etc) that you can safely probe the fused connection unit (supply side) to see if you have voltage there?
Yes all the light and sockets are working I don't have a approved voltage tester, maybe I'll need to get an electrician to have a look.

Reply to I replaced the light and now my heater switch won't switch on. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net