Discuss I replaced the light and now my heater switch won't switch on. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi guys,thank you for your generous help. So it seems like the actual mcb was faulty. For now, I just took the wire out and connected it to the socket and it's working now.

How did you confirm that an MCB was faulty?

You can't just take a cable out of one mcb and put it in another without checking that the new arrangement is safe and that mcb provides the correct protection.

How did you confirm that an MCB was faulty?

You can't just take a cable out of one mcb and put it in another without checking that the new arrangement is safe and that mcb provides the correct protection.
I mean I connected it to the socket MCB, it worked, I took it out and put it back to the original MCB (water heater) it was not working again. They should have the same rating. So I figured it would be safe.

I mean I connected it to the socket MCB, it worked, I took it out and put it back to the original MCB (water heater) it was not working again. They should have the same rating. So I figured it would be safe.
The photo you uploaded shows the socket MCBs to be 32A whereas the water heater MCB is 16A. Whether it was safe to swap, or not, depends on the size of the cable that you removed from the 16A MCB and placed into a 32A protective device.

The photo you uploaded shows the socket MCBs to be 32A whereas the water heater MCB is 16A. Whether it was safe to swap, or not, depends on the size of the cable that you removed from the 16A MCB and placed into a 32A protective device.
I checked the MCB and they are the same size. 2.5mm also on the wall it was fused down to 13a. So, it should be fine?

Last edited:
Whilst unlikely to be an issue for a brief period of testing, 2.5mm T/E on a radial circuit should be protected with a 20A device.
Whilst the OP should not have swapped without proper advise, in practice the requirements for fault protection would have been met by the 32a device unless something was far amiss, and if the circuit is feeding a fixed load through a 13a FCU there is no requirement for overload protection at source.
So no, a 2.5mm radial does not have to be on a 20a device.

Whilst the OP should not have swapped without proper advise, in practice the requirements for fault protection would have been met by the 32a device unless something was far amiss, and if the circuit is feeding a fixed load through a 13a FCU there is no requirement for overload protection at source.
So no, a 2.5mm radial does not have to be on a 20a device.
2.5mm T/E on a 32A CPD does not satisfy Iz ≥ In

Okay thank you, I went a head and bought CRABTREE STARBREAKER 16A SP TYPE B MCB (98018) from Screwfix. I'll replace it as soon as it gets delevered.

you realise that's notifiable work? and should as such be carried out by a competant person right?
[automerge]1571746846[/automerge]
you realise that's notifiable work? and should as such be carried out by a competant person right?

and also needs to be tested and certified.

[automerge]1571746846[/automerge]

and also needs to be tested and certified.
i'd disagree with notifiable work. it's a direct replacement/repair, not a new circuit. however testing the circuit and producing a MWC would be advised, in case there are any problems that could lead to danger.

i'd disagree with notifiable work. it's a direct replacement/repair, not a new circuit. however testing the circuit and producing a MWC would be advised, in case there are any problems that could lead to danger.

would it not be classed an "addition or alteration of a circuit"? as it's a differently rated MCB and therefore notifiable?

not trying to be argumentative, it's just that's my interpretation of it. i'm always looking to get other peoples takes on it & improve my knowledge though. ?
[automerge]1571750659[/automerge]
would it not be classed an "addition or alteration of a circuit"? as it's a differently rated MCB and therefore notifiable?

not trying to be argumentative, it's just that's my interpretation of it. i'm always looking to get other peoples takes on it & improve my knowledge though. ?

Cancel my last, it's not in a special location?‍♂️

same rating - 16A. so it's not an alteration as such.

I thought it was the same as previous, i.e. a Type B 16A

My bad, got confused with all the talk of 20A 32A MCB's etc... i thought he was swapping out for a different type.

someone really needs to teach me how to read.

My bad, got confused with all the talk of 20A 32A MCB's etc... i thought he was swapping out for a different type.

someone really needs to teach me how to read.
should be a specsavers in Portsmouth. it's full of sailors that can't see past a rum ration. :D :D :D

2.5mm T/E on a 32A CPD does not satisfy Iz ≥ In
Please explain how a spur off a 32a ring circuit is permitted then? It is permitted because the requirements for fault protection are met and overload protection is afforded by the fact that the load is restricted to 2x13a fused loads, =26a maximum. Same applies to the OP's circuit except overload protection is afforded by one, not two 13a fuses =13a.

Reply to I replaced the light and now my heater switch won't switch on. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net