Discuss I thought this would be simple........dimmer switch problems in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

matty18714

Hi all,

I am trying to do a simple plug-dimmer-bulb sort of thing but I'm struggling and starting to pull my hair out! I've got a normal plug with a 13 amp fuse, a dimmer switch that says "216-253v - 50hz, max load 250W, min load 40W", and both a bayonet and ES bulb fitting.

The dimmer has 3 connections - L1, L2 and C. As far as I can work out I don't need L2 for what I'm trying to do.

So, at the moment I have wired the plug, stripped a section of the flex half way along with the live snipped and stripped, and fitted the bayonet fitting with bulb at the other end.*I want to put the dimmer in the stripped area so I have connected the live wires to the dimmer in every possible combination but I cant get the bulb to dim! It will go on and off but not dim.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Matt

Ok. I've just wired it like that and it will turn on and off but not dim. When I first plugged it in with the dimmer wired in I had a 3amp fuse in the plug which went a second after switching it on. Is that likely to have damaged the dimmer?

When I first plugged it in with the dimmer wired in I had a 3amp fuse in the plug which went a second after switching it on. Is that likely to have damaged the dimmer?

Yes, very likely blown the dimmer.

Dimmers can fail in two ways, they either go completely open circuit in which case the lamp won't light at all or they go completely short circuit in which case the lamp will only be on at full brightness. Either way it's time for a new dimmer I'm afraid.

Remember, don't put a neutral on the dimmer, it only gets a live in and a switched (dimmed) live out to the lamp (bulb) holder. The neutral goes directly to the other terminal on the lamp holder.

Reply to I thought this would be simple........dimmer switch problems in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net