Discuss I trying to add a breaker & my main panel doesn't have a Disconnect, How to I add it without getting electrocuted? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

not the same type of gear we have here, but we would carefully fit the breaker. tighten incoming terminal with a VDE insulated screwdriver, then, with the breaker OFF, connect the circuit. always be careful of touching live parts. if in doubt, consult an electrician. ( added to that. i don't know the regulations in Texas, as to whether you are allowed to do it. later on a couple of US members will be on to give better advice.

Here is a pic of my panel.View attachment 52549

Thanks!
Is that panel with the picture inside your house, if so do you have a panel located outside where the meter is. That’s where your main should be and it should be 100 amps
[automerge]1569448985[/automerge]
Is that panel with the picture inside your house, if so do you have a panel located outside where the meter is. That’s where your main should be and it should be 100 amps
trucker john let us know what you find after my advice, I’m confident that’s what’s going on

[automerge]1569448985[/automerge]

trucker john let us know what you find after my advice, I’m confident that’s what’s going on

@Megawatt,

Thanks for your response, The panel is outside of my house and right next to the city power meter. The panel in the pic has 2 2x50amp breakers and there isn't any other panels outside the house.

That panel was installed using the 6-disconnect rule, no more then 6 throws of the hand to disconnect power, and no main was required, just plain cheap but residential is as cheap as they can get away with, you cannot add any more breakers and be compliant with code, my advice is get the panel replaced with a main breaker model and consider a upgrade to 200A if planning to add major loads, load calculations should be done to determine if needed.

The 2020 NEC will require a outside disconnect on dwellings, although means nothing until it is adopted. :)

Reply to I trying to add a breaker & my main panel doesn't have a Disconnect, How to I add it without getting electrocuted? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock