Discuss I want to install a Solar IBoost+ on my Megaflow 300I cylinder, is it possible? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
I want to install a Solar IBoost+ on my Megaflow 300I cylinder, is it possible on this cylinder?

Attachments

• 82E86DB2-BED7-4C22-A4DB-5F0AE8B86EA5.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 17
  • BA4685DB-DC3E-4015-967C-43028BE94AB7.jpeg
    738.3 KB · Views: 14
I think this requires further investigation.
The iBoost instructions have a list of 3 checks - "please ensure the following" at the beginning, one item being:
"There should be NO electronic controls between the Solar iBoost and the immersion heater, only direct connections to the immersion and mechanical thermostat are suitable for Solar iBoost"
There is clearly some wiring in the Megaflow box that suggests you may not be connecting 'directly' to the immersion.
I'm not saying it can't be done, just need to understand what the Megaflow circuit does, and if there are any safety implications. (I'm not suggesting there's any 'electronic control' necessarily, but there presumably are safety circuits in play)

Edit: It looks like the Megaflo does just have a direct connection through its thermostat to the immersion, so I'm being over-cautious.
Carry on !
7391A5AA-7491-427A-AD03-B9E7470AD64F.jpeg

Last edited:
I would also like to do this on my old one immersion indirect megaflo. Don’t want to have to fork out £2,000 for the new eco mega flo which uses a solar iboost on the model. Bristol man if you find out anything please let me know.

I would also like to do this on my old one immersion indirect megaflo. Don’t want to have to fork out £2,000 for the new eco mega flo which uses a solar iboost on the model. Bristol man if you find out anything please let me know.
Hi Sean

I just did it, Found a diagram showing the immersion, it had two cables going under the plastic cover, one went into the immersion and the other went into a sensor, so I cut the wire that went into the immersion and connected it to the iboost, and turned up the temp. Seems to be working fine 👍🏻

Hi Sean

I just did it, Found a diagram showing the immersion, it had two cables going under the plastic cover, one went into the immersion and the other went into a sensor, so I cut the wire that went into the immersion and connected it to the iboost, and turned up the temp. Seems to be working fine 👍🏻
Hi Bristol man

Thanks for replying. It would be great if you could post a photo of this or the diagram you found. I can do minor electrical work, but I feel a bit unconfident messing around with the mega flo.

Few questions which would be great if you could answer them:

1. I only have a small solar pv array of 2.4kw so don’t expect more than 15-20kw generated on a really sunny day. However would there be a possibility of the mega flo overheating? I assume the sensor switch or thermostat in the megaflo will stop electricity being drawn from the iboost if the panels are still generating surplus and the mega flo has met desired temperature.
  2. Have you turned your gas boiler hot water setting off? I assume you leave it on as it ensures the whole water storage in the mega flo stays hot even on less sunny days.
  3. Did you just put terminal connector ends on the cable that you cut going into the immersion?
Thanks
Sean

Hi Bristol man

Thanks for replying. It would be great if you could post a photo of this or the diagram you found. I can do minor electrical work, but I feel a bit unconfident messing around with the mega flo.

Few questions which would be great if you could answer them:

1. I only have a small solar pv array of 2.4kw so don’t expect more than 15-20kw generated on a really sunny day. However would there be a possibility of the mega flo overheating? I assume the sensor switch or thermostat in the megaflo will stop electricity being drawn from the iboost if the panels are still generating surplus and the mega flo has met desired temperature.
It turns the iboost off and reads “water tank hot”
  1. Have you turned your gas boiler hot water setting off? I assume you leave it on as it ensures the whole water storage in the mega flo stays hot even on less sunny days.
No I leave it on, I just turned the thermostat up on the megaflow.
  1. Did you just put terminal connector ends on the cable that you cut going into the immersion?
Just stripped the wires and pushed into the iboost terminals
Thanks
Sean
The attached file shows the immersion on mine, the right hand cable is the one that goes straight to the immersion, this is the one I cut and put into the iboost

Attachments

• 2CEC08D3-F9C9-4751-A816-245DE256562A.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 14
It turns the iboost off and reads “water tank hot”

No I leave it on, I just turned the thermostat up on the megaflow.

Just stripped the wires and pushed into the iboost terminals

The attached file shows the immersion on mine, the right hand cable is the one that goes straight to the immersion, this is the one I cut and put into the iboost
Hi
I want to install a Solar IBoost+ on my Megaflow 300I cylinder, is it possible on this cylinder?
Hi Bristolman and others! I eventually went and compared the electrics on my very old Heatrae Sadia megaflow (model CL210) and they’re not like yours. Very simple wiring. The top photo has electric cable connected to the temperature control and I assume calls for the gas boiler for more hot water. The bottom photo is the element. Strangely this is not wired. If I connected the solar diverter to this would it work? I assume from looking at web photos of these that the thermostat is part of this so if I had it wired, the thermostat would not overheat.

Attachments

• 29BC277B-221C-42EE-A1DF-D271B3ED580A.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 7
  • C7F0B4F3-E0CD-4812-975B-C6B5A189EFE2.jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
If I connected the solar diverter to this would it work?
Yes it should. The immersion heater looks as if it has never been used!
Do you have the cover for it? It won't be safe to leave it wired up and live without the cover.
I assume from looking at web photos of these that the thermostat is part of this so if I had it wired, the thermostat would not overheat.
Yes the immersion has the adjustable thermostat for you to set the temperature you want, and there will also be an over-temperature cutout as well.

Yes it should. The immersion heater looks as if it has never been used!
Do you have the cover for it? It won't be safe to leave it wired up and live without the cover.

Yes the immersion has the adjustable thermostat for you to set the temperature you want, and there will also be an over-temperature cutout as well.
Thanks Avo….feel reassured enough to give it a go! I also have the cover 🤓

Reply to I want to install a Solar IBoost+ on my Megaflow 300I cylinder, is it possible? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net