Get paid faster with card payments | Go Paper Free - Save Hours | Offer Finance to Customers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss I. want to replace an old ceiling fan/light with a light fitting. There are 2 cables from the ceiling with 1 black 1 red and one bare earth wire. in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Do you mean there’s 2 cables with a red, black and earth wire EACH?

Can you remember how the old fitting was wired?

Normally red to L, black to N and bare cable to the earth of the fitting, sleeved in green/yellow...

HOWEVER, I am thinking this is end of line of the circuit, so the two reds together without being connected to the light in any way.... one black is the neutral (N) and the other black may be the switched live, be sleeved in red, or brown nowadays and go to L.
Without testing you can’t tell which black is which.

Its difficult to advise further.

Reaction score
Do you mean there’s 2 cables with a red, black and earth wire EACH?

Can you remember how the old fitting was wired?

Normally red to L, black to N and bare cable to the earth of the fitting, sleeved in green/yellow...

HOWEVER, I am thinking this is end of line of the circuit, so the two reds together without being connected to the light in any way.... one black is the neutral (N) and the other black may be the switched live, be sleeved in red, or brown nowadays and go to L.
Without testing you can’t tell which black is which.

Its difficult to advise further.
Hello Littlespark thanks very much for getting back to me so quickly. I couldn't reply sooner as I was working.
I didn't see how it was originally wired as it had been cut off. I agree it looks like the end of a circuit. I'm going to get a multimeter to find the switched live. When you say put the 2 reds together do you mean in the connector box or just taped up separately?

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I mean the two red together in a connector, but not to the light fitting. This would be a permanent live. Make sure the circuit is isolated.

Like I said, this is just one of many possible configurations, and if it’s the wrong one, you cold end up with live and neutral across the switch. Big Bang!

It will be tricky to test it with a multimeter unless you know what you’re doing

Reply to I. want to replace an old ceiling fan/light with a light fitting. There are 2 cables from the ceiling with 1 black 1 red and one bare earth wire. in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net